OT - TR8

Been hankering after a summer fun car for a while, and almost bought something on a few occasions. This has caught my eye...

Never so much as sat in one, but it strikes me as naff enough to be stylish....

Mrs H has just ordered a Megane Convertible, so I have bargaining power!!!!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

TR7 is unlikely to ever be stylish, one of the most disliked british cars around! TR6 on the other hand, rather nice.

Fiat X1/9 is similar in price range, very similar in performance (slightly better than the TR7) and isn't ashamed to show itself in public!

Older square MR2 is good but has a hairdresser image, and handles the corners better than the next generation.

Don't know what your budget is but for around £5,000 you're looking at a good Lotus Esprit series 1/2/3, some of these get raced in classic racing events and beat most of the rest, including the above. A friend has a series 2 amd on track loses much more powerful italian machines on the straights but catches them on the corners. They have a bad reputation, which isn't really deserved, certainly not in the series 3 and later. A series 3 is much better than a series 1 or 2, but the earlier cars are still very appealing.

If you're after an old sports car, I'd suggest buying Classic & Sports Car for a few months, they usually do 3-4 car tests quite reguarly, and tend to do the cheaper cars rather than Lambos and Ferraris. Also check the magazines for tests in your price range.

A Megane Convertible! Isn't that grounds for divorce?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

goodness:

that's a tight fit.

64 thousand miles of headroom - or similar IIRC
Reply to
William Tasso

On or around Mon, 3 Jul 2006 17:19:58 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

except that the one in question has had a V8 put in it...

original MR 2 is basically what the X1/9 would have been had it not been made by Fiart. The X1/9 was a lovely little car with so many fundamental fiat-flaws that it was next to unusable.

The original MR2 was simialr sized but had the advantage of toyota reliability.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Didn't that make it a TR8?

Reply to
GbH

A TR7 with a Rover V8 in it was indeed called a TR8.

I like the bit about needing a little TLC.. Yea, like jack it up in one corner and all the other three stay on the ground I bet.

They were complete and utter rot boxes.

-- Andy

Reply to
Fuzzy

ISTR that some thought the styling was a temporary setback as the rot would remove the problem! I can't remember anyone ever saying anything nice about them, even people who liked Triumph Spitfires. I like the TR6 though, despite it being more of a german design than British.

Give me an Austin Healey 100M any day though. You'd have to give it to me though, can't afford one!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

->> Didn't that make it a TR8?

->

->A TR7 with a Rover V8 in it was indeed called a TR8.

->

IIRC a TR8 is a RHD V8 Triumph made for the US market, what we have here is a TR7 with a V8.

Reply to
Geoff

No no no!! You're thinking of the Austin/Leyland Princess!!

Notice how it's a black car on a black background - so you can't see how bad it really is.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On or around Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:17:51 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

only if the factory did it. some owners did their own - this one could have been built as a TR8 or it could be a conversion - the fact that it says "engine from an SD1" leads me to think the latter.

not that that makes it bad, just need a careful exmaination to see it's been done right.

Reply to
Austin Shackles