OT - Windows XP Disconecting Mapped network drives

Ello,

Im hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction here!

Ive got a customer thats got an XP Pro box, that has mapped network drives to a 2K box. Its got some internet printing software on it, that downloads orders from the net and sends them to print via the mapped network drives.

Thing is, if there is a gap between the orders, XP will disconnect the network drives, causing the software not to work.

Is there any way of stopping XP Pro disconnecting mapped drives after a set period of inactivity?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

hmm, should not disconnect them. I have XP pro with many mapped drives to XP home PC and some to NT4 PC, I use only 1 of the mapped drives regularly, the others stay unused for days, but they never disconnect by themselves.

Instead of mapping drives, is it possible to tell the software to send them to a actual drive location (can't remember the proper name for this), for example "\\2kpcname\shared drive on 2k name" (something like \\officePC\C) instead of mapping a drive to these locations. This will work then even if the mapped drives disconnect themselves.

I presume they have "reconnect at logon" box ticked when the drives were originally mapped, although this is not the issue, but perhaps worth checking.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Probably no help to you but this happens to me at work with one of my mapped drives, but it's just an annoyance to me.

Reply to
Graham Bowers

Seems that the problem is on 2k. Ive found that net config server /autodisconnect:-1 (Dos) should disable the auto disconnect, which is 15mins by default.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

In article , Mark Solesbury writes

This m/c is XP, my print server is W2k, but it never 'randomly' disconnects.

Is there something in the domain security policy to cause this (assuming it is a domain, and not just peer networking)?

Mine dew, compatibility with my Macs' Samba daemons is miserably bad. If any of the Macs are allowed to sleep, that's it for the connection. You usually can't get it to re-establish contact without rebooting the Wintel box, or at least logging off and back on again. The Macs don't give a hoot - SMB connections (to Wintel servers) just work, every time.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

You may want to try disabling "offline files and folders" - it is enabled by default and is known to cause disconnection errors.

I know - I had 200 machines witht the problem and it took ages to figure it out!!

Hope it helps. Jon

Regards,

Jon VentureOverland

VentureOverland

You'll need to put the user login name of the XP machine into the users list of the 2k machine. On 2k machine right click My Computer and go to manage. In user list, add new user for each machine that is going to use a network resource, otherwise the 2k box will not let it in or will disconnect it.

Clear as mud?

-Craig.

Reply to
Craig