P38 wheel alignment woes

The passenger front tyre has feathered badly, drivers' side less so- after only 30k's. One 'expert' told me that 'they all do that'. Has this been your experience? The drag link has wear, I'll replace it & have an alignment done after swapping the rears to the front- and the fronts to the rears, of course. Bushes all look fine. Shocks seem ok- but hard to tell? However, I don't want to put the hardly-worn rears on the front only to have them wrecked too, so what should I look out for?

Thanks all

K in Melbourne, Orstraylia

Reply to
Natalie Drest

Natalie> The passenger front tyre has feathered badly, drivers' Natalie> side less so- after only 30k's. One 'expert' told me that Natalie> 'they all do that'. Has this been your experience?

No. Wear is pretty even on mine, even crashing over speed bumps at

30mph twice a day.
Reply to
AndyC the WB

On or around Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:34:54 +1100, "Natalie Drest" enlightened us thusly:

People say the same about the discovery, "they all" wear the edges off the front tyres. Mine don't, 'cos I run sensible tyre pressures, rather than what the book says.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Agreed - mine wore BFG A/Ts at recommended pressures, and wear was completely even. Something is well out of line - only methodical checking will find out what.

Reply to
Rich

So what's a sensible tyre pressure then?

Reply to
Natalie Drest

From memory, Austin's approach to tyre pressures is whatever the manufacturers say, double it and add two.

:-)

Reply to
Rich B

On a RRC I'm running fronts 8 psi above recommendation and the rears 4 psi above. (about 34F/38R)

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Thu, 8 Feb 2007 08:47:41 +1100, "Natalie Drest" enlightened us thusly:

for the series I discos on standard size tyres, 36 works well. Book says

  1. Note, this very likely not the problem with your P38. I was using it as an example of the "they all do that guvnor" mentality rather than getting things right.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 7 Feb 2007 22:24:44 -0000, "Rich B" enlightened us thusly:

not quite...

in the case of the discos and 110s though, I just experimented with pressures to get sensible tyre wear.

after all, you have a vehicle which weighs about 2 tons unladen, getting on for 3 tons all-up. Compare and contrast with a typical van, which (on slightly smaller tyres, granted) run anything from 40 psi to over 50 psi.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Bar?

Reply to
GbH

On or around Thu, 08 Feb 2007 08:46:35 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

and I'd just like to say that the transit is running 34 psi in the rear tyres, 40 in the fronts. This is also not what the book says, but it suits the use that it's put to.

I think Edward II is running more or less book pressure, in the fronts, and less then book in the rears unless I'm carrying loads.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles wibbled :

I was under the impression it was offense to run your tyres >+/- 2psi from the vehicle manfacturers spec, ie owners manual. When was this done away with?

Reply to
GbH

Aye, OK, Guinness, please.

Reply to
Rich B

Never heard of the +/- 2psi figure - I'd always assumed it was manufacturer's setting +/- a reasonable margin of error, if checked at the roadside.

Reply to
Rich B

Think it was introduced at the same time as 'thou shalt not mix xply & radials on same axle.'

Reply to
GbH

On or around Thu, 08 Feb 2007 19:13:58 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

where d'you get that from?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:23:49 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) 1986, as amended [excerpt]

  1. Condition and maintenance of tyres

(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2), (3) and (4), a wheeled motor vehicle or trailer a wheel of which is fitted with a pneumatic tyre shall not be used on a road, if :-

(a) the tyre is unsuitable having regard to the use to which the motor vehicle or trailer is being put or to the types of tyres fitted to its other wheels;

(b) the tyre is not so inflated as to make it fit for the use to which the motor vehicle or trailer is being put;

(c) the tyre has a cut in excess of 25 mm or 10% of the section width of the tyre, whichever is the greater, measured in any direction on the outside of the tyre and deep enough to reach the ply or cord;

(d) the tyre has any lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure;

(e) the tyre has any of the ply or cord exposed;

(f) the base of any groove which showed in the original tread pattern of the tyre is not clearly visible;

(g) either :-

(i) the grooves of the tread pattern of the tyre do not have a depth of at least 1mm throughout a continuous band measuring at least three-quarters of the breadth of the tread and round the entire outer circumference of the tyre; or

(ii) if the grooves of the original tread pattern of the tyre did not extend beyond three quarters of the breadth of the tread, any groove which showed in the original tread pattern does not have a depth of at least 1mm; or

(h) the tyre is not maintained in such condition as to be fit for the use to which the vehicle or trailer is being put or has a defect which might in any way cause damage to the surface of the road or damage to persons on or in the vehicle or to other persons using the road.

now, I went and got the latest update for that, 'cos I thought the tread depth reaquirement was 1.6mm now.

I'll ask the chap that produces it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles wibbled :

My long term memory!

Reply to
GbH

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles wibbled :

Thought it had to come up to the low water mark on a 'real' penny!

1/16"?

What I recall is/was ~20yrs previous to that....

Reply to
GbH