P38a air spring change

Well, after 5 hours, Andy and I, with the help of a fully equipped workshop with 4-point hydraulic lift, a laptop with Rovacom, and the input of my brother (who is an engineer), worked out the best way to change the rear air springs on a P38a.

The trick is, you get Nick Kerner Engineering to do it! Bloody job and a half that was!

Supposedly "half an hour from getting the axle stands out of the garage" (I'm onto you, Ron Beckett), turned out to be the second most bloody minded job I've done on a Land Rover, after fitting the badly sized steering guard to the Disco. If anybody plans on doing it themselves, come and talk to me and Andy first... or preferably Nick Kerner...

I tell you, next time something goes wrong on the damn thing it's straight into the garage with a blank cheque book :)

David

Reply to
David French

Oi, I heard that! For us who live in less corrosion afflicted climes, changing the air springs is easy!

Ron Beckett Emu Plains Australia

Reply to
The Becketts

LOL! I still have the bruises!

Reply to
David French

You'll doubtless not want to hear that it took me about an hour and a half to do the first one and about half an hour to do the second one then...on my own (yes, yes, I know - working under a RR on your own, but I did have two 3 tonne axle stands securely supporting the rear cross-member and the rear axle solidly on the ground).

You must have had extreme bad luck is all I can say. With mine, the top plates were seized in, but with a bit of judicious persuasion with a t-bar and two extension bars through the gap between body and chassis above the wheel and onto the top of the bit where the air connector goes in - a loud bang and it was free. That was why the first one took an hour longer than the second - it took me that long to figure it out.

Simon U

Reply to
SimonU