painting outside..

Right. My 101 is now almost at the point where its gonna need some painty stuff putting back on! :) This weekend i shall be sorting out the last few stubborn bits and trying to beat out some of the dents, and after that it will be ready.

Due to the unpredictable and unreliable weather its probably going to take me a few days to paint it which will most likely be spread out while i wait for the next good weather or time off work.

Firstly - Is it alright to leave an etch-primered vehicle sat outside for a week or two (or possibly more) before painting anything else over it? I presume it will be fine as long as i give it a good scrubbing before painting over it?

Secondly - Tim or Lee - How much paint did you use on your 101's?

I'm looking at using cellulose, and would quite like to laquer it too (I didnt laquer my car when i sprayed it and have stone chips after 9 months of daily driving :( )

Hers hoping for a couple of days of sunny calm weather (or winds blowing away from next door!) in couple of weeks! - else i shall be rollering rather than spraying so as to not annoy the neighbours!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

about 2.5 litres per coat.

I'd roller it personally. I had good weather but it would be much simpler to roller a side at a time... then do the top coat promtly.

I did the lot over 2 days.. etched and primered one day.. top coat the next. Some bits need flatting before the next top coat is applied.....some bits need hammering and fillering thanks to a green lane trip where the lane wasn't as expected Grrrr!!

Bring it to Easntnor...we can have a bring your own roller party. ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I have used two types of etch primer - one specifies that it must be coated within a matter of hours, the other says it is OK for at least a month - sorry, can't remember the names of them, best you read the fine print on the cans! JD

Reply to
JD

the whole thing is bare metal now!

I cannot really knock out most of the dents as the body is double skinned and thus i cannot get at them. I actually found one dent that has been filled by the army!

I am probably just going to fill the worst dents (where the metal is holed) and leave the rest as they add character! ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I'm beginning to think that rollering might be easier - but how tricky is it to get paint round all the sticky out bits and rivets and edges?

Did you roller morph? as he looks good!

I will probably have to rethink my colour choices if i roller it though as im not sure i could get a decent enough finish in gloss. matt seems more forgiving.

Back to technicolour camo in matt perhaps?

Dents add character!

How many branches did you hit? I though we got that big branch to slide along the top edge so it didnt do any damage?

I'd never be able to get it rewired and MOT'd in time for eastnor!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Nope... but.. you know who was rollered

for the fine detail just go over it first with a small brush such as around the windows, gutters and alike.. rivets will be sorted in a couple of sweeps of the roller.

If you're insistant on retaining character then yes Matt would be a better choice or use a matting agent ala Grumble

Phew and there was me thinking you were going to duck out of Malvern ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

so you rollered your etch primer and then sprayed over it?

You aint seen the size of some of my dents! I dont reckon i could get rid of the damage round my air filter box without remaking a lot of bits.

When i did my 2A i spent ages beating all the dents out and fillering... but it didnt last so im not sure its worth the time!

I also know how long you spent fillering on morph and i dont want to spent that long at it!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yup...only using a new roller, they are so cheap they aint worth cleaning

Sounds like Morphs was.... initial tinkering was with a lump hammer to make it have edges again... then some fine fettling and a good lump of filler or two.

I ended up remaking the filter door at Steves... or should I say Steve produced the parts.

Yeah...sole destroying at the time.

Can't say I blame you tbh.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I resprayed an entire car last summer. I spent so many hours doing surface prep on that that i cant face much more!

Reply to
Tom Woods

The body is not double skinned, the inside isa lined with what is basically hardboard, if you remove this and the glassfiber lagging you can sort the bodywork then reinstall the hardboard stuff. Used to be an army mechanic for

7 years and even there there were good and not so mechanics about. If the body is really bad you could replace whole pannels quite easilt if you talk to a local light engineering shop, did this on mine as the front corner at roof height had been hit to the extent the door would not close, and while wasa at it got a new front pannel fabbed omitting the air duct for the front intake for the NBC gear, looked much cleaner when done. Hope this helps.
Reply to
Dad

I didnt want to remove all the wall cladding quite yet! I've actually got all the roof stuff off already as it leaked.

The worst big dent (ignoring the bit round the airbox door) is in the front cab roof side - right behind the air tunnels that feed the fans.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I think i have worked out a plan to spray the truck in sections. One for each side i reckon, plus maybe the doors seperately.

I already have 2 spray guns. If i buy one more i can have one for each coat to save cleaning them out.

I reckon i can do etch then primer then topcoat and possibly laquer on

1/4 of the ambi in a day.

I can then just mask that side off slightly and move onto the next one on my next free day. I can cope with a possibly slight join at every corner for the easer job its going to be working this way.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sun, 04 Jun 2006 17:31:17 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

trouble is, if you don't, it shows. The reason the old rollses and suchlike had that fantastic body finish is all down to the amount of work put in.

There's a certain staisfaction in getting it right though, all the work seems more worthwhile when the end result comes out looking better than the factory produced... 'til some goit scratches it for you, of course.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yeah i know :(. I did the car on a schedule and there are a few bits i can see now looking at it where i didnt spend enough time.

(in 200 hours i managed to weld in 3 arches and multiple other bits of metal underneath, strip and rebuild the entire braking system, replace the water pump, do the clutch then strip it down including the glass and interior out and respray the whole thing - the same thing on my other car took me 6 months...)

I've got lots of stone chips but only managed to get one small dent in the saab so far and it was from the hedge when i took evasive action upon meeting a feckin big truck on a small lane. Considering that i actually got it wedged *in* the hedge one small dent aint bad!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Its now got no paint left on it, has been brillo'd all over and i am in possesion of a lots of tins of painty stuff!...

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

:-)

This is a turning point as from here on your officially improving the truck. Stuff going on rather than coming off.

;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I got about 1/3rd of it painted thisafternoon/evening :) (and that third includes the front end which is much tricker as it has a lot of masking!)

I reckon that the colour that i chose is working alright too! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Now all painted bar the back end and the spare wheel/jack doors :)

From tommorrow onwards the wind is forcast to be blowing the other way

- right into next door, so i'm not sure when it will be finished!

I must now own the prettiest non-running 101...

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Photos please :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D