Please Help - Offside indicator constantly on?

Hi everyone. In a moment of desperation I am hoping someone on this group would be kind enough to help me with a big problem. I have a 1984 110 which is my only vehicle and I need to sort this problem today!

The difficulty is that the offside indicators are constantly on. The nearside works as normal. I am hoping it is just the relay gone US. However, I would welcome any input as to the cause of this strange situation so that I can fix my landy today?

Many thanks and a belated Happy New Year to everyone. Jase..

Reply to
Jase

On or around Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:19:23 -0000, "Jase" enlightened us thusly:

indicator switch would be my bet. Try unplugging the switch inside the steering column shroud, which should make all the indicators go off. If it don't, then at least you've eliminated the switch.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Do you really mean constantly on, or do you mean "not flashing when selected"? In the first case Austin is almost certainly right but in the second case it'll be some sort of wiring fault like a dodgy earth or a bulb blown. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On as in flashing or on as in constantly lit.

The former look at the steering switch and wiring, the latter a short or damaged wiring post the flasher relay. I shouldn't think there are two flasher relays one for nearside, one for offside but if there are check that the offside one has stuck.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Sun, 9 Jan 2005 15:50:09 -0000, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

they normally blink super-fast when a bulb's blown. Mind, I've known ones that stayed on, but that was with an old-fahioned thermal flasher unit, not one of the cunning modern electronic ones.

and a flasher unit fault would affect both sides. Doesn't mean it's not some funny wiring or bulb fault, I suppose.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Many thanks for the replies. Traced it back to a faulty connection behind the instrument panel causing a short between the switched side of the ignition and one of the indicator leads. Looks like someone had hacked the wiring about some time ago as it was an awful mess in there.

Jase...

Reply to
Jase

Do they go off when the other set of indicators are switched on ? Sounds like a faulty switch or wiring to me. Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

On or around Sun, 9 Jan 2005 18:46:20 -0000, "Jase" enlightened us thusly:

nah, that's normal for a 110 :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles