Popping head above parapet...

Hello all,

Been a while (like a couple of years or more!) since I frequented this newsgroup. Don't suppose any of you remember me but there we are, I won't lose sleep over it ;-)

Still got the '71 lightweight, runs brilliantly.

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

Hi Rafe ;-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Sorry to disappoint Rafe but I remember you - hows things?

Si

Reply to
Si Kellow

Oh dear, so the newsgroup has gone downhill since I was last here ;-)

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

Ah, I recognise that name. Things are fine thanks.

As I mentioned lightweight is running very well, although I recently found a picture of what she looked like when I bought her 5 years ago - a couple of colleagues said she looked much nicer then. Most upsetting. Perhaps I should put the pictures on the web and seek professional opinions?

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

It was yellow wasn't it?

Yep, I remember you too!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Pictures now at:

The one dated March 2001 is pretty much as purchased. Cosmetically (mechanical improvements/repairs to long and boring to mention!) there have been lots of changes since then.... two paint jobs (in progressively brighter shades of yellow), 2 new canvases (one full length, one truck cab, I swap depending on what I'm doing with her), new doors and tops, new interior, 3 lots of new wheels and tyres, proper grille, rear spare wheel carrier, removal of chequerplate.

Comments if you feel like it ;-) You won't offend because I've ended up with a vehicle that a) I thoroughly enjoy and b) has evolved to suit my needs - which I always think is one of the great things about a landie.

Rafe

p.s. sorry to those people, like Niel, that will see me getting mileage out of this by placing in two "forums".

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

Yeah I remember, went off-roading with you once, and attended a green-lane clearance too if I remember correctly. I was in a red Defender 110 with hard-top and Brownchurch roof rack.

Excellent, I still have the 110, now without roof rack, without hard top, and slighty less red than it was.

ISTR that you'd just bought an MGTF at the time too, hope you've not reversed it into the lightweight yet!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I remember. And if I can remember detail, didn't you spend a lot of time valiantly practicing self-recovery at Pingewood?

;-) Canvas instead of hard top? It's the only way in my opinion.

That went last August, was on 3yr lease. Great fun but kind of had enough of it after 3 years. Would love to have one as a second (ahem, third ;-) car.

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

Have just posted a picture to:

I believe that is us driving back from said green-lane clearance on 10th Oct

2002!

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

Yep, although some poor sap from this forum who was daft enough to come along minus his unimog did more digging than I did, I was a lot fatter and less fit back then than I am now, and it was a hot day ;-)

Still, we got it out, and I learned how to use the tools, which was the idea.

The chap who ran Pingewood at the time, Russ Brown-Lee, had a stroke that left him in what is known as locked-in syndrome, he's perfectly healthy and will live a long life, it's just that all he can do now is swivel his eyes and breathe. A great shame, he's a nice chap.

Indeed, canvas is the mutts, I didn't bother converting back to hard top in the winter like I thought I would.

Yes it would be nice to have a sports car, I have a pile of parts and a white fibreglass wedge-shape that I was hauling in and out of the garage today, but that's all :-(

I phoned up a Pinzgauer dealer today, they're my new obsession, £8K for a 6-wheeler in excellent condition, whoop!

So sell yer lightweight and go swiss ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Indeed, that's my truck for sure, picture added to my collection.

So have you been to many clearances recently?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Rafe Aldridge uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Hi Rafe, It's got to be your round by now then surely. ;-)

Theres a group meet in April if your interested.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Of course it depends on when/where but sounds good...

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

Was that Qriz? He was a nice chap.

Probably the opposite for me ;-)

It was a stinkingly hot day.

I heard. As you say a great shame because he was a nice chap. Had a very refreshing attitude of do what you want - no pressure to prove anything. If you want to drive round the easy stuff, fine, if you want to try flipping your vehicle then that was also fine.

I love the canvas - no condensation in the winter :-) Having both a canvas truck cab _and_ full tilt is a great combo.

;-)

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge

On or around Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:01:31 -0000, "Rafe Aldridge" enlightened us thusly:

midlands. Includes a tour of a brewery...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Full details here save Graham rehashing...

Lee_D

It's really nice :-)

I like yellow lightweights and they only look right with tilts. Big improvement with the black tilts and putting the spare on the back. Wheels suit it too, the grille and the new plates - all nicely done! How about more Sahara pics though?!

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Yep, Chris Bates, I don't remember seeing him around in the group for a while. His ancient but excellent condition radio-bodied mog was lovely, although the MPG limited him a little as it cost so much to get anywhere in it! I can remember him pulling up in it, me looking at it, then looking back at my landy and laughing because suddenly it looked like a low-slung sleek sports car.

Mind you he almost managed to get it stuck on flat ground at pingewood, he was sat there slowly spinning all four wheels and getting nowhere, very strange. Huge bar grip tyres, all axles locked, but it still was hardly moving. I was on BFG Trakedges at the time so didn't fancy trying to pull him out!

I had to bring some 19" rack cabinets back home some time ago, whipped the canvas and sticks off, put them on the back upright and strapped them down, no sweat!

A tad less secure of course, but not much of a problem where I am in the world.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Thanks.

I've got loads ;-) Perhaps I'll get them on-line one day. That trip was over

4 years ago. I sooo want to do it again!

Rafe

Reply to
Rafe Aldridge