Probably a very dangerous idea...

I have a 180L tank on Grumble (which runs on unleaded when I can't get LPG). My Genny also runs on unleaded...

I was mulling over a way of fitting a takeoff - either from the tank, or just after the (external) pump by means of a solonoid valve and key operated switch (to avoid accidental turning on), fed to an outlet pipe to fill the tank on the genny (obviously with an in-line filter).

The Ebby heater already has a similar setup...

Can anyone please attempt to talk me out of thinking about this further - p'raps to prevent me from taking it to the 'rough drawings on the notepad' stage?

Reply to
Mother

On or around Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:19:05 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

It'll never work...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I agree with Austin ... you'll never get it to fit...

Are you installing the genny actually 101 mounted?

If not what about one of those syphon kits with pump to take some out of the tank?

OR an LPG conversion for the genny :-) (One project is never enough!)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Eventually, but on a carrier on the front - so I can remove it if/when necessary.

Thought about that, but it's finding one long enough to go down into the tank, then have a long enough feed to the outlet bit to go into the genny - still, probably more rational than my switched idea ;-)

I thought they did one (Honda E10i) but must have been mishtaken :-(

Reply to
Mother

Mother, I have an ex Water board gas powered Honda? generator with a 110v alternator fitted, all fitted into a frame. I have never started it after aqquiring it. Everything seems to be there, it looks about 15-20 years old maybe. I will never use it, so if you want it you can have it - taking up room without a need, funny that, sounds just like most of our sheds stuffed to the rafters with manky old useless Land Rover parts!

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair

Thanks for the offer, but I fear that if I collect any more generators I'll be in thick and sticky do-do...

...and yes, my shed too proved far too small within weeks of me building it - this summer will see a 2 story shed as I opt for the "the only way is up" redevelopment! :-)

Reply to
Mother

My Unimog was built for the German army. It's got an Eberspacher "Swingfeur" petrol-fired blown hot air heater, which lives in its own special housing above the cab at the front of the radio box (it's visible in the pic on David's "afl regulars" page here:

). The heater has its own integral petrol tank which can be remotely topped up from the main vehicle petrol tank. A switch on the dashboard operates a petrol pump which draws via its own banjo from the dip pipe on the main fuel tank. This pumps petrol up a pipe at the front of the radio box and into the Swingfeur housing. Here, a replacement fuel tank cap attaches this pipe to the heater petrol tank; it incorporates a float valve to (I assume) prevent the tank being overfilled and spilling out all over the canvas cab roof.

I see no reason why a similar arrangement wouldn't work for your genny.

Reply to
QrizB

Sounds like a good idea really! BUT I doubt your insurers would be too happy to accept the modification!

OR if your insurers discovered the modification in the event of a claim, you might find your insurance void.

I could be wrong though!

Neil

Neil

This had crossed my mind...

I'm not actually sure I'm going to need to do it anyway as I may have overestimated how much petrol the genny uses. I filled a 10L petrol can last September and have been using this to refill the genny ever since - and there's still some in it...

I reckon my first measurement was with the genny running full pelt, but given I very rarely draw more than 20 percent of what it can chuck out... :-)

Reply to
Mother