range rover - swivel seals

I drive a 1986 range rover, i had to change front axle swivel seals, very often (every 30,000 miles). I don't believe this is normal, can anyone pls comment on this, have you heard of a similar problem in other car.

Thank you very much, Doug.

Reply to
molly.harron

Hi Doug, I suppose it has to matter what kind of territory you are using the seals IN ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

And the quality of the seals. Also if the chrome balls are pitted then they will need to be replaced as they will just deteriorate the seals far quicker.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Yep, if the balls have become pitted, the seals will die faster, the balls will get more pitted faster and you have the vicious circle you have reached.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Thanks for your replays guys!

Found another guy with the same problem, for some reason they think it might be caused by the salt on the road, could this be right?!

That's the page where i found it -

What's your opinion of this salt matter.

Thanks, Doug.

Reply to
katty.bini

Pitted Balls !

There are gaiters available for Rangie swivels, which many people swear by.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Reply to
Skinty

What are gaiters where do i fit them? how they work?

Reply to
molly.harron

Outside the swivel ball attached to the swivel housing and the axle casing.

They act as a physical barrier. Quite effective but you can't see what's going on underneath. Not worth installing over already damaged parts.

Reply to
Dougal

Steve

Reply to