rattle from below!

My high cap 130 TD5 has this rattle (sounds like spare change in a tin) at exactly 83km/h. I have wrote about this a while back in this forum but in the meantime I have checked all the heatguards around the exhaust and could not find anything. Just recently I made a new observation, that the rattle even appears if I just rolls down a hill with the engine on idle and exactly at 83km/h the rattle appears without any engine vibration going on. Could it be from the drive shaft? I have checked all the little balance platelets which are glued on the shaft and they seem to be all right.

Reply to
Ralph

Try rolling down hill ( if the road is staright of course) with the engine - off occasionally a baffle will become loose in a silencer box it is ( sometimes) just possible to hear it if you put the car on a ramp and shake the system vigorously , and even as I found out it can happen in a new system. It sounds much as you describe another possiblity is a stone trapped I have heard drive shaft problems and they tend to a knocking sound rather than a rattle. Derek

Reply to
Derek

I had something similar at around 50-55mph (almost exactly the same speed) on my 110 when I first bought it, turned out it was the handbrake cable resonating against a bit of the seat box bodywork! Worth a look, maybe? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Also worth popping underneath with a universal screwdriver (a.k.a. hammer) and tapping the exhaust boxes and other tappable things to see if you can find sommat that makes a rattling sound. Watch out for shit falling into the eyes.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

"Ralph" wrote

With my 90 it was the heat sheild on the exhaust pipe that had come loose and was rattling. Needed a new bracket as the old one had stretched too much to tighten.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I have a very similar kind of a rattle on my 110 first thoughts exhaust heatshields or similar but I do like the handbrake cable idea my noise sounds to be in that area! another thing to check could be brake disc back plates or you could try the usual turn the radio up method :-)

Icky

Reply to
icky