Re: "Allmakes" Parabolics?

> Anyone know anything about the afforementioned? They're what John

>> Craddock sells, and according to their >> website, they could be OEM'd by just about anyone. > > Is this a historical page on there site ? Their current site appears > to be in a state of suspended animation. > > Lee

Nope - this is as a result of phoning them.

Andrew

-- SIII 88" | Member of Club Land Rover Ireland | |

Andrew Harton

Interesting....

Advertising as British springs - well maybe nearly British...

There are only two companies in Britain capable of rolling a parabolic and neither of them make these springs!! They are at best assembled in Britain from parts made elsewhere.

They are coming into the country via a company in Coventry. they are a copy of the British Springs Ltd springs and as such a compliment to them that they have considered them good enough to copy!

If they were £100 cheaper then the choice is yours but for how much they save you buy the proper ones - British Springs, TIC or RM..

I will sell you a set of British Springs Ltd springs with pleasure... are you going to Billing? If so visit me on stand T12 & T13 and I will show you the differences and sort out a good price for the springs....

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA4x4

Be Warned:

If I find you there I will engage you in a long conversation about spring ratings. I have a tricky problem involving a 6x6 conversion.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Coil or leaf?? What overall weight - laden and tare?? Give me a few clues and I can have an answer ready for you.....

See you there

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA4x4

Standard leaf springs. I need to know what the rated weights are for the various spring types on series. It requires one set of rear springs and one set of front springs on the back end. The loadings on the springs need to be the same, otherwise one axle will be lifting itself off the ground. I'm thinking SWB rears and diesel fronts may be about matched, but I don't have the data.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I haven't looked properly but SWB rear and petrol fronts are about equal rates - the diesel one is much heavier.... The problem lies in the rates but also in the arch they are bent to - they may be the same rate but one rides 2" higher than the other.

My suggestion is to have some springs ( parabolics of course ) made to a suitable arch / rate. I think this is the only way you will really get a matched set rather than moving mountings to make up for height etc. and still only being nearly right.

I will speak to British Springs on Monday and ask them the possibilities of them making a set of 'one offs ' for me....

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA4x4

Still reckon that if you need to mix and match fronts to rears you will need a proper set making to do the job right - not as horribly more expensive than standard BTW.

Can you not use 4 of the same springs? Or at least 2 near side and 2 offside of the same springs?

Will the new vehcile be carrying increased weight ( over and above the extra chassis/axle/body) ? Do you need a really heavy duty back end?

Why not take the opportunity to use 2 different springs on each side as a means of giving progressive ride comfort? Use one pair ( with a soft rate ) to give a comfortable ride with the secong stiffer pair only really coming in once the initial springs have been compressed by an inch or two when a load is applied that they ( the 2nd set ) would then be stiff enough to hold up....

The possibilities are endless... but I still reckon you will be lucky to get the perfect setup with what happens to be available...

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA4x4

Can I email you off-list about this, it's going to get a bit boring for the other users?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Email away...