Re: Galvafroid??

We've used Galvafroid on the "Old Lady" ( a 130 year old fishing boat,

> actually called the "Band of Hope" (or the Double Hernia!)). It's > not as good as hot galvanising, but a not by much. Problem is that > you need to get rid of thick rust (and possibly thin rust) - it's > meant for treating bare metal, and after you use it you need to > primer it with a non-ferrous primer (Hammerite Special Metals Primer > should do the trick but I've no experience) - we always leave it bare > galvanised on the boat. Rather than Galvafroid, how about a good > wire brush and then something like POR-15 (sticks like sh** to a > blanket but you have to follow the instructions - do some Google and > Forum searches) followed by the paint of your choice - NATO green is > good! > > Good luck - let the group know how you get on if you use Galvafroid, >

Bob,

It looks like POR 15 or the like is what I'd prefer to use. I'm not going for total authenticity with the paint job, so a treatment for the cappings that allows me to paint over them is ideal. I'm still only partway thorough getting the paint off, but I'll let the group know how I get on once I get to that stage.

Thanks for the advice...

Andrew

-- SIII 88" | Member of Club Land Rover Ireland | |

Andrew Harton