Re: OT: Apple Macs

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Tim Hobbs at snipped-for-privacy@101ambulance-urine.net wrote on 24/7/03 7:32 pm:

I know one or two people hereabouts are Mac users, so I thought I'd > ask as a confirmed PC lover. > > Mandy has a contract on to do some Quark work, but it has to be done > on a Mac rather than her usual PC platform. It's borderline whether > it is worth splashing a few grand on a Powerbook and we are both a bit > clueless about the current specs of Macs. > > She needs a modest spec, ideally a laptop. Anyone know a good source > for these? We don't need gigabytes of memory or huge processing - > it's fairly dull and boring DTP. > > Thanks for any advice! > > Cheers > > > > Tim Hobbs > > '58 Series 2 > '77 101FC Ambulance > '95 Discovery V8i > >

I run an iMac and in the passed I have ran a PC. The only thing I can safely say about both of them is that thay both hate me and I understand them just a bit more than women.

Reply to
Rory Manton

2 weeks 2 late - just sold a couple of 6 month old Macs - including a very nifty laptop (got them for a project, project finished, didn't need them...)
Reply to
Mother

The price of new macs seem to be very similar between suppliers. If you are going to buy new I'd choose a supplier close enough to collect it from as I've had more than enough gear damaged by carriers. The cost of the latest version of Quark will make you weep too. As it's DTP you are using it for you could consider a second hand G3 running a later version of the classic operating system with say QE

3/4. Try Mac Format, there are usually plenty of second hand macs in the small adds and with the G5 coming on the market there should be some good deals about.

All the best

Paul

Reply to
PM

Reply to
Llandrovers!

The machine of choice, no doubt, for paedophiles on the run?

Reply to
Mother

It all depends what you mean by "modest" - I've recently bought four Powerbooks from eBay for a grand total of less than a hundred quid, but they're ancient 68030/040 models from 1993-ish ...

If you're happy with a minimal spec desktop, take a look at eBay.co.uk item #2743716100.

Reply to
QrizB

If your still worried, Martyn, take a look at the online Aberystwyth paper now, you know, the one your friend Gareth writes for? You might find some very interesting articles there today! And as usual, go and publish a website about it, best advice I can give you.

Come to think of it, why didn't you get that pic at Billing? Is it because of *certain* things you've been warned about?

Reply to
Llandrovers!

I have both. One of the original Bondi blue iMac's and a Tangerine laptop. I have also had in the past three different PC's which have ended up at the dump and I wouldn't have one again, unless it was free. In the past 5 years of owning the iMac it has only ever broken down to the point where I copuldn't fix it myself, and the cd rom has never been the same since Joanne told Isaac that it was hungry and they fed it a marmite sandwich. Places to start are

also worth buying a copy of one of the Mac magazines as there are loadsof ads and a couple of places where you can get second hand equipment. Ibelieve that Apple have a sale once a week on older/pre-used stuff on aWednesday or a Thursday.There is a newgroup you could ask on too, who were helpfull when we wantedrecommendations for a camcorder.alt.macintosh is a general one although there are many more.I quite fancy one of those new ones with the flat screen. Perhaps I shouldencorage Bruce to go out and spend some money on a 101!

Reply to
Nikki

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:36:28 +0100, Llandrovers! wrote: ^^^^^^^^^^^ no more...

Yeah, seen it - all it affirmed for me was that UWL is a right little nest of paedophiles - first you, then Janiurek...

And which one of your paranoid delusional fantasies are you working from now paedophile?

Be seeing you, Tony.

Reply to
Mother

Funny how Januirek reckons he knows you quite well, then!

Reply to
Llandrovers!

ROTFLMAO!

And which one of your other paranoid delusional fantasies are you working from now paedophile?

Reply to
Mother

So long as there's a paedophile on the loose, I'll ensure people know about it. I kept quiet for long enough. If you don't want to read it, plonk the thread, or me.

Reply to
Mother

Your actions are wearing thin on all of us these days.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Probably not as much as your actions have caused to countless children, paedophile. I hope they cut your balls off in prison.

Reply to
Mother

There he goes again, trying to shift the blame onto everyone else but himself. Typical Bailey antics.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

I can't see what this has to do with the original post which was about apple macs. You could have at least changed the subject line so that those who don't want to read it can ignore it.

Reply to
Nikki

Not much.

Why? The original thread was way off topic in the first place.

Reply to
Mother

Well, because it is a different topic.

Nikki seems to have neatly achieved it anyway!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Usenet is pulp, people have short memories. For around 3 months Luckwill replied with something null to almost every thread to which I contributed. I, in turn, exercised restraint and did not reply - even to the most crass, incoherent, paranoid and fabricated drivel.

I am now determined to continue to highlight what he is - for the benefit of those who may be new, or been away or simply have a short memory. I'm tending to do it 'within' threads, usually threads which are 'off topic' in the first place. Frankly, I'm getting my own back, and I'm enjoying it (nothing tastes quite as good as seeing a paedophile squirm, and also a touch of 'I told you so'isms).

I do not feel it's unreasonalbe to make such comments, in off topic threads started by other parties - it's easy to plonk a thread, equally easy to plonk me, that decision is down to the individual reader. I'd hope that my overall ratio of signal to noise is worth putting up with a little self indulgence - which is, after all, easily avoided should you not wish to read it.

Reply to
Mother

May be so, but so is this and has nothing what so ever to do with the original post, which although was not about Land Rovers, was asked on this newsgroup because he knew that several people on the newsgroup use or have used macintosh computers.

Reply to
Nikki