Re: Split Charge relay

Towsure (www.towsure do a unit that auto detects when the alternator kicks in, ie. when the batt. volts increase. This negates adding another wire through the car to the indicator light.

Just ordered one for my 90.

Nick

From Memory; > > IND stands for Indicator.. i.e.. the charge warning light wire, the >small one of the two/three on the alternator. Often marked with an I >on the alternator casing. > >Mark Batchelour > >Keith wrote: > >> I am putting in a second battery to run a fridge. I am using a Lucas >> 33R split charge relay. The instructions tell me, wire 1. >> Alternator-ACRs to 'IND' terminal. >> Can any body tell me what this means?
Reply to
Zen

I've got on of these. It works fine but needed the voltage where it closes the relais adjusting (turn potentiometer on board).

Pieter

Reply to
pieter

Another option (as used on 101 Ambulances) is to fir a Split Chare Diode. It takes an input from an alternator, and has an output for 2 batteries +ve, so all you need to do is split the exiting battery cable, and fit 1 more wire to the new battery +ve).

the one I use cost £25 from a boat chandlers (70Amp, 2 batteries, but they do more current/ more batteries versions)

Of course with a diode, there is no switch over, it stops the 2nd battery discharging "electronically"

Mark Batchelour

Zen wrote:

Reply to
Mark Batchelour

You do however also have the disadvantage that due to the voltage drop over the diodes your batteries never fully charge.

-- Paul Everett repton at repton dot org

Paul Everett

Thanks for the Help I've connected it to the indicator wire as suggested and it seems to be working fine. I have different voltages at each battery when charging so I assume all is working well. Cheers, Keith

Reply to
Keith

However, you can disconnect the voltage sensing wire to the regulator within the alternator and connect it to the main vehicle battery, this causes the alternator to regulate to the battery voltage as opposed to itself, creating the extra volt or so that was lost across the diodes. Badger.

Reply to
Badger