recycled cooking oil as fuel

On or around Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:14:06 +0100, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

The payback on a typical car is something in the region of 15-20K miles. If you do 15K per year, for example, and keep it for 3 years, you'll achieve savings in years 2 and 3. ASSUMING the price doesn't go up much WRT petrol. Costs for fuel are about the same as diesel, like for like, (e.g. 3.5 disco vs. TDi) with the proviso that the diesel doesn't quite have the power of the 3.5 unless you tune it up a bit, which will make it slightly less economical.

you can add in that like-for-like, a V8 disco (say) in the 1-3K bracket costs quite a bit less than a TDi, in terms of vehicle per buck.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:55:06 +0100, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

in fact, ISTR duty on dinodiesel is about 45ppl (plus vat, chiz.) while that on biodiesel is summat like 24ppl.

ah, wrong again:

so if your used chip-oil costs you nothing, you pay the government about

27ppl plus vat in duty.

ooh, this one's interesting, too:

Austin Shackles

So Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:31:21 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I didn't include the Disco 200tdi or S3 as they're going to be, erm, going...

Reply to
Mother

To make way for what? Did you win the tender on that Vampire last month?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

New keyboard ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Neighbours to park? ;-)

No... Does anyone seriously believe I could have got away with buying that without Charlotte removing some of the more tender parts of my body?

Reply to
Mother

Can we say "Acceptable Risk in Martyns Mind"?

:@)

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Environmental grounds... humm

Emmisions yes, but its still a Dino fuel and therefore contributing to all the other ills and finite

Its the best of a bad bunch really

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Doesn't mean you didn't try.... just in case it went for a good price, I didn't see a denial that you bidded, maybe just relief at a failed bid :-)

Rich

Reply to
Rich

There are some things I cannot comment upon...

Reply to
Mother

There'd be little point paying a Grand to convert one of mine which does less than 1000 miles a year otherwise.

ALL road fuel is going to have some negative environmental impact - as it the vehicle it's used in, as you say, best of a bad bunch.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:41:43 +0100, "Rich" enlightened us thusly:

well, true. but genuine alternatives are a) difficult to get and b) not plentiful enough, probably by at least 2 orders of magnitude.

and at least by using the gas fractions of the crude oil we improve on the previous state of affairs where they were burnt off by the refinery. Ultimately, presumably, the use of all petroleum gas products will equal the production level of the liquid fuels (probably, principally, diesel - I imagine that there's more diesel/fuel oil produced than lighter things like petrol.

maybe by then there'll be more work on alternatives. However, the only real alternative is to stop travelling so much, and this is where the ever-increasing network connectivity should come in, by allowing the majority of work to be accomplished by moving information and not people.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So, if we use old cooking fat (that was only going to waste) and turn it into fuel we have to pay a duty on it?

What if we make our own wine / brew our own beer (other heavily taxed commodites?) send some money to customs and excise ..?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yep.

Only if you run a vehicle on it.

Reply to
Mother

just so everyone knows, my land rover is on a 50/50 mix for a couple of weeks to see how it goes, then I'll probably go for pure biofuel.

driven 30 miles on it so far, runs fine.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Ah, so, it would be ok to ferment cooking oil into alcohol and *drink it* then .. (that would trick C&E eh!)..? I wonder how much of the alcohol passes through us and it we could run out cars on *that* without paying duty! (Or do you think that would be taking the p***!)

Nurse!

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Waste oil should only be carried by a registered waste carrier, otherwise the Environment Agency (a.k.a. DEFRA) get cross. So in theory only registered waste disposal companies can run their cars and trucks on it, and only then if they raise a Section 62 72 hours in advance...

Likewise, you can legally have a television delivered to your house. When you have finished with it, it becomes 'waste', and is suddenly hazardous. It is then, technically, not legal to put it in the post...

It's a mad old world.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Yep.

Nope.

You can piss in your tank if you like. If your car runs ok on it you'll have to pay tax on it - along with going for a checkup with your doctor, obviously.

As an aside, I have a very simple rule when it comes to H M C&E: "Don't f*ck with them, they have a very big dick." or is that 'stick', no, prolly not...

Reply to
Mother