Rust in my 98 Discovery?

Hi all,

Just noticed what appears to be some rust appearing around those silly little windows at the back roof of my 98 discovery.. I thought these were aluminium? If so, what's with the rust?

Thanks Pauly

Reply to
Pauly

In news:3f7bbf39$ snipped-for-privacy@news.alphalink.com.au, Pauly wrote: | Hi all, | | Just noticed what appears to be some rust appearing around those silly | little windows at the back roof of my 98 discovery.. I thought these | were aluminium? If so, what's with the rust? | | Thanks | Pauly

Sorry Pauly, but the roof panel on a Discovery is steel.

Check with a magnet.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey

The roof panel is steel (for body reinforcement purposes), hence the rust. Tackle it now before it gets any worse.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Not only for body strength purposes ... an aluminium panel of that size would reverberate terribly, making it almost unbearable at motorway speeds. This can be overcome by making the panel thicker in the centre than at the edges and thicker at the back than the front - like they do on buses - but that makes the panel _really_ expensive to manufacture :-)

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG