S3 Leaf over Axles Conversion

Hiya,

Has anyone done this type of conversion on a S3? Any insight pro or con would be appreciated.

regards, Oz

Reply to
Landy Man

I've seen one done, didn't get a close look, it was huge.

I've done loads on Suzuki's, from what I remmember looking at a SIII years ago the chassis crossmembers get in the way so you'll have that to contend with as well as longer props, drag links, castor angles ect.

I suspose a simple way of doing it would be some 101 axles..........

Reply to
Geoff

Hi Oz, I did this years ago with a SIIA 88". I used Range Rover axles and made new spring mount plates for the axles and cut off all the trailing arm brackets, the hard part was the king pin inclination, made a jig to hold the axle and then welded the new brackets on. the g/box crossmember gets in the way of the front prop and you have to cut it about to get enough clearance for it to miss, I also turned the prop round so the slide was up at the g/box end. You will need to have a cranked steering arm made from the relay box the the nearside front wheel so as to miss the leaf spring, also 2 longer props. note beware of uj bind due to increased angle of uj's. You can suffer vibration as well from the increased prop angle, I used it off road mainly and had some good fun out of it, but for on road you should look at something else, say what about a 101 :-)) go on you know you want to..

Rich

Reply to
Rich

On or around Fri, 03 Nov 2006 14:29:35 GMT, "Landy Man" enlightened us thusly:

not a lot of point - you'd do better to find some portal axles for it. It will improve the breakover angle, and approach and departure angles, but they're quite good anyway on an 88", but not the diff clearance.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin, Geof, Rich - I am now considering those portal axles. Maybe a

404? ;o)
Reply to
Landy Man

On or around Sat, 04 Nov 2006 22:07:03 GMT, "Landy Man" enlightened us thusly:

you'll have a job finding one...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yeah he needs a 200...

I tried to get a 408 once but they take ages to find and I gave up.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

C303 Volvo?

There was someone making portal ends for the Land Rover axle but the trail has long since gone cold on that one - unless anyone knows otherwise.

Reply to
Dougal

I think the French Marman ? has portal axles these were quite common a few years ago, lots about for sale and only about £1500 might be worth a look and had a flat head ford V8 in it.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

On or around Sun, 5 Nov 2006 17:10:16 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

Hmmm. I don't know if I've been out-punned, now.

404 is the "not found" error in HTTP. not sure what error 408 would be.aha. Timeout. 200 is "ok" According to RFC2616, anyway. only LR-related number I can find is: 101 Switching Protocols

The server understands and is willing to comply with the client's request, via the Upgrade message header field (section 14.42), for a change in the application protocol being used on this connection. The server will switch protocols to those defined by the response's Upgrade header field immediately after the empty line which terminates the 101 response.

The protocol SHOULD be switched only when it is advantageous to do so. For example, switching to a newer version of HTTP is advantageous over olderversions, and switching to a real-time, synchronous protocol might beadvantageous when delivering resources that use such features.

There are some nice ones, like:

10.4.11 410 Gone 10.4.18 417 Expectation Failed
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Out-nerded at any rate!

You might get "301 Moved Permanently" if trying to visit the UK Land Rover factories..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

A typical conversion with Volvo C303 parts:

Dougal