Sankey

Ive just got myself a widetrack sankey trailer for my house move

It does not sit level though

Is this normal?

The nato jaw is on the rear x member, but when the trailer is on, its lower at the front.

not bothered, just wondered.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

As long as it's level side to side, I'd not worry. When you load it with the rated load, it should level off a bit fore & aft. 16 inch rims, from memory?

Reply to
John Williamson

Stick some razor-strap tyres on it :-)

Reply to
Lee_D

The 'seat' of my nato hitch is 24 inches from the ground. It's currently attached to a 90 TD5 PU on 235x85 tyres - the attached sankey slopes down at the front when empty but levels out a bit when in it's normal running condition - overloaded :-) It must have sloped down more on my last 90, a 300tdi on 205x80s, but I don't know the height of the hitch on that one. It's been an excellent, strong workhorse, but be aware that the good ground clearance means that it has a high C of G. Joskin

Reply to
Joskin

I thought the wide tracks were made to tow with the Bedfords etc., that being the reason they were so high at the front. I have one of the older small Sankeys and I have moved the towing attachment to *under* the chassis bar and it rides level on the back of both my Series 109" and the RRC.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Just noticed that its got 7.50 x 16 tyres on it, which look really tall.

Does anyone know the correct tyre size?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Mine has 6.50x16 tyres - I think they are standard. Joskin

Reply to
Joskin

On or around Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:41:34 +0100, Mark Solesbury enlightened us thusly:

There are 2 standard heights for NATO couplings, one for small trucks like LRs and one for bigger stuff - you'll sometimes see both fitted. The wide-track trailer is intended to go behind the MK and it's ilk I think, so has the hitch higher.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Are you not thinking about the Arrows 1 3/4 ton?

The Sankeys commonly used both 6.50 and 7.50 tyres - and it made some sense when conditions demanded to have the same size tyre on both tractor and trailer.

The trailer obviously does not need to ride level - nose up is undesirable - and as previous commentators have indicated once there's a full load it's much improved. There's also an allowance in there for axle travel when used off-road and you're going to have to move into severe overload mode to use that up too!

Reply to
Dougal

"Dougal" wrote...........

The narrow track Sankey didn't use 7.50 tyres, not on the standard wheels anyway, they would foul the bodywork. His is a wide track running normally

7.50s but I use Series 3 LWB rims running 205 radials on my small Sankey, they carry the load better and don't foul the sides.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thanks for the clarification on that, Martin.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:14:45 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

I'm not certain, but it's wide-track so that it matches the track of the MK and its ilk, I suspect. Unless it's wide-track to match the 90/110 and not the series, of course :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles