Santana PS-10

....nearly a Land Rover!

Heard that these vehicles are now being imported. Anybody had any experience of them? What are they like? Do they live up to their ancestors? What's the depreciation like on them? .....Anything really.......

Cheers, Icky.

Reply to
the ickys

Well, it's cheaper than a defender, and has several advantages in design over it. Had a good nose round one at Billing last year, I was impressed.

I'm waiting for the SWB version myself.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I came across a garage in Perth that only deals in them. It was about 15k for a top of the range one that really was a very high spec Defender. This included bull bars, snorkel, chequerplating etc. Really nice vehicles.

I would buy one.

Andrew Renshaw

On or around Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:46:35 GMT, "Andrew Renshaw" enlightened us thusly:

me too, If I were in the market for a new 110.

advantages over the 110:

  • wider rear door
  • no seat box in the front
  • wider rear load bed floor
  • one-piece body, rubber-mounted.

differences:

  • Iveco turbo engine (125PS, IIRC) instead of LR
  • not sure what gearbox, I think it's the LT85.

possible disadvantages:

  • leaf sprung (modern parabolics, though)
  • probably more depreciation.
  • doubtless some unique parts, especially lights, which will be more pricey.
  • they don't offer the 146PS engine variant. Or didn't, anyway. Dunno how hard it is to upgrade a 125 to 146.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

I think the engine is the 2.8l development of the 300TDi.

Reply to
Mark Dickinson

one-piece fibreglass roof as well.

Not sure, but it's selectable 2x4 like the old series boxes. Santana carried on with the 2x4 rather than go over to constand 4wd.

Parabolics, give very comfortable ride, slight loss in axle articulation over a coiler, but more reliable and robust (they don't pop out of thier seats, for starters)

Possibly, but modern cars depreciate so quickly anyway. Besides, if you can get 25 years out of it like a series, then it seems good value to me.

They're probably pretty standard if you know where to look. A matter of finding an equivalent part fitted to a common car.

There'll be someone somewhere, there's quite a few companies offering

2.8 engines as drop-in replacements for the Tdi anyway. Probably a new injector pump and a ECU re-map, as this is the norm for commercial engines. You think Iveco make that many different engines?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Is that Perth in Western Australia if so can you drop me the contact info via the group

Adam

Reply to
Adam Bryce

Adam said while smoking some leaves and cuddling a sheep:

Thats the real Perth in Scotland. Not an ex Penal Colony. :)

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

On or around Tue, 08 Feb 2005 22:26:52 +0000, Mark Dickinson enlightened us thusly:

nope, it's the Iveco 2.8, which is a pretty good engine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My mistake, I had got my wires crossed after looking at the International Engines website and saw the Crosslander CL244 which looks at first glance to be a PS10 but after looking at their website it obviously isn't. If you're interested and can translate Brazilian check out

Mark

Reply to
Mark Dickinson

On or around Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:48:54 +0000, Mark Dickinson enlightened us thusly:

looks a nice vehicle. It does indeed be using the tdi-derived 2.8, and an easton gearbox. switchable 2x4H, 4x4H, 4x4L, independent front coil suspension and rear beam axle on leaves. The videos use the tried and trusted "tip the camera on it's ear to make the ground look slopy" technique, as well, as evidence, the trees growing at 40 degrees off vertical...

Wonder if it's derived from the Portaro Pampas, which was a cheap LR clone from years ago?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Eaton gearbox? Arrrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:42:44 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

well regarded for truck gearboxes, or used to be anyway. Hell of a lot of trucks on the road with the "twin splitter" setup, which gets you 16 gears with 4 lever positions (plus reverse) for them as don't know. There are 2 little switches on the gear lever, one is for low range and one for half-gear split. Once you work out how it works, it's a good system.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On the Eaton twin split you just had one switch with three positions a dream to drive, use clutch to set off then once moving you don't need it, if you have the knack,

When I worked in Holland there was a bloke with a DAF 95 'ginaaf' tipper

10x6 with the front 3 axles steering, he did a lot of quarry work so had an additional tranferbox fitted to give him an extra range change making 32 gears plus 8 reverse
Reply to
Andy.Smalley

While working for Lucas Diesels (now Delphi diesels) I had the missforture to spend many thousangs of miles in a Volvo-White tractor unit during testing. All of the agancy drivers we used felt the same - Eaton boxes, arrrrghhhhhhh!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:57:12 -0000, "Andy.Smalley" enlightened us thusly:

could be. The one I used to shunt around had 2, one for hi-low and one for split.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Did a Google and found an English (well American) site

Mark

Reply to
Mark Dickinson

Can anyone tell me when the SWB version of the PS10 is due out? Also is the turning circle of the PS10 really 7m? My Lightweight can't manage that. What puts me off a LWB is the crap turning circle. I had a 109 that turned like a supertanker towing an aircraft carrier!

All the best

Jarvis

Reply to
Dave Brooks

People Hi

they are actually Romanian made and designed. The factory used to cooperate with Dacia which used to build Renault based vehicles back in the Tchaoushesku days.

The vehicles that have been imported here in Greece were totally useless. The Greek army had bought a few thousands of the 4X4 ARO that are the basis of the crosslander. They had been paid with oranges and lemons and this is maybe the reason why those vehicles were TOTAL LEMONS.

I hope the crosslander is much better built that those vehicles and if there has been some input from private investors with good knowhow I can only say that the design and basis is pretty good to start with and develop and worthy and cheap alternative for basic offroading.

But my experience with the vehicles the crosslander is based at is catastrophic.

Take care Pantelis

International

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

According to that they're the old Romanian ARO cars - weren't they the lot that used to be Dacia?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown