Series 3 advice for newbie

Hi all My first post, I've been lurking for a while as I'm looking for a series 3, I've picked some excellent info on the subject. I could do with some specific info however as I'm going to look at at a 1980 SWB petrol.

Is there any way to tell if its a 5 main bearing crank engine?

Also if any one knows of any thing for sale in the vicinity of Harrogate, North Yorks I'd be interested.

Phil

Reply to
Bulldog

Has some files for the Series 3 owners workshop manual which you can download, which has some technical data sheets in it.

Reply to
Nikki

If you look just above the where the dip stick goes into the block there are two ribs that run from the front of the block to the back. On a 5 bearing engine there is webbing at about one inch inervals running top to bottom at about 25' - this is not present on a 3 bearing engine. or you could find the engine number!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

yeah,

if they tell you it is. cos if it is then i bet you thats a big selling point, they wont let it slip their mind to mention it.

good luck.

and if you need any info then just pop it on here, im sure someone will know.

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

being a 1980 (assuming it is the original engine) it will be the 5 bearing engine. i believe they changed it about 1970???

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

I'm sure it was much later than that - 1979 / 1980 at a guess Jon

Reply to
Jon

Thanks for the advice all, I may even post more often!

The guy knows nothing about LRs and I believe they changed in 1980 thats why I asked.

It'll probably be knackered when I get a good look anyway, (I've looked at some scrap yard fodder recently)

Phil

Reply to
Bulldog

It was in 1980 the change (from 3 to 5 main bearing) took place.

The easy way to tell it (assuming the engine wasn't painted) is by the color of it: if it's light blue, it's 3 main bearing. If it looks red(ish) it's 5 main bearing.

I hope this helps.

Reply to
kl0ne

I'm looking at it tomorrow, oddly its van sides and a safari roof, has a bed and lockers in the back !

Phil

Reply to
Bulldog