Series III Diesel 2.25

My Landy runs fine, but when I put her under load,I have noticed that the temp gauge goes up to just touching the bottom of the red mark. yet on a straight road with no incline she's fine. I have fitted a new thermostat but has made no difference, also the water level is fine, can any body help please with this. Thanks Mick.

Reply to
Michael Arnold

Sounds like a blocked radiator to me - has enough cooling on the flat but make it work and she warms up. Get her well up to working temp and carefully feel the rad for cool spots as it will be just blocked in parts. You can try flushing it, but in my experience a new rad is usually needed.

Reply to
Exit

Cooling is marginal, obviously, and as Exit comments, probably the radiator. But as a first check, is your fan belt tight! Also, less likely, is a collapsed or blocked radiator hose. The fact that it is associated with hills indicates it is not the gauge, and I assume that if you were losing water you would have said so, and this means the radiator cap, leaks and head gasket are counted out. JD

Reply to
JD

I agree with the other postings that it is likely to be a blockage, possibly in the radiator, but there is another possibility:

The temperature guage depends on a number of factors in reporting temperature:

The voltage regulator serving it The guage itself working correctly A good earth back to the battery A working temperature probe on the engine The temperature of the engine

It is possible that the temperature of the engine itself is correct and that the guage is simply mis-reporting it. Might be worth considering.

--> Greg

Reply to
grege