Series III Gearbox query

Hi,

While rebuilding my gearbox I seem to of lost one of the detent balls, no major problem, I've got spares. Only thing is I don't know where it went. It could of fallen inside the main box as the top was off at the time. I've had the drain plug out and shaken the transmission, nothing fell out, I even turned it upside down and shook it (that was fun!!), still nothing fell out. It could be stuck in the gloop in the bottom though? What's your thought about leaving it in there, assuming it is in there? What might/could happen? Thoughts?

Cheers,

Alan C.

Reply to
Alan C

The worst? It could get thrown up and go through the gear train. The result would be one shagged box. You'll know when it happens.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I can't quite remember how I came to drop on in my gearbox but I made dame sure it came out of the bottom! Strangley the geabox died in a big way shortley after (will teach me for replacing a knackered box with another of unknown history) so perhaps sombody had droped another one in it befor me?? Anyway, it was was turned into an alloy drum of oil and broken stuff :( Toby

Reply to
TVS

Yep, done just the same thing, in my case it was all three detent springs.

Having gone to the trouble of a rebuild, I'd want to be absolutely sure it wasn't in there, even if it means washing the box out with paraffin to flush it through.

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds