series suspension "wedges"?

Hi all,

After lifting the front of my faithful 2a trialler with some 6 inch long spring hangers front and rear, the front propshaft is now rubbing on the gearbox crossmember. I remember seeing some steel wedges somewhere that you could buy to go between the axle and spring to tilt the nose of the diff up to an angle where the propshaft is clear.

Problem is I can't remember for the life of me where I saw them for sale. I could make some up but it's time i'd rather be doing some other things so if anyone knows of anyone who sells them i'd be very grateful.

All the best,

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Hi Dave. Have you tried "gone too far" they do all sorts of suspension mods for leafers

Reply to
the ickys

On or around 25 Apr 2004 13:54:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dave Reynolds) enlightened us thusly:

Chris Perfect had some at one point, dunno if he still does.

Austin Shackles

Reynolds)

I've just asked Chris Perfect about these and he does sell them. He supply's

2.5, 4, and 6 degree wedges for GBP 15 pair.
Reply to
Liam

AWWWW...... I've been avoiding fiting longer shackles because Percy won't fit in the garage if I do, the other main reason being prop problems but then again Percy has a centre bearing in the front prop (to avoid the jaguar sump).

What extra clearance / height does this mod give. My reason is not for cosmetic purposes but to afford Percy the option to go off road again as the Jag sump also overhangs the front axle and is too close for comfort , the breather has kissed the sump a couple of times already from those jumping off kerb moments.

Of course if I do this I'll have to Insist Simon K knocks his move down south on the head so I can test Percy at Cannock chase.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Ah, no theres as idea, haven't thought of them. The only problem with looking at their website is when I look at it, it gives me all sort of ideas. The thought of having a 40 year old vehicle on leaves (leafs?) that would beat the class5 boys is very tempting!!

Cheers for the info

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Cheers for that, i'd prefer to get some already made. at least i know that they will be correct. Theres an engineering blokey near to where i work who offered to make me a set up but knowing me i'd mess up some critical measurement and have to have them redone.

Chris P pnly lives 20 or so miles away so i'll give him a ring in the week

Cheers!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

I think i measured 21 inches between the ground and the bottom of the bumper with 750/16s. The problem is finding a straight bit of bumber to measure it from/to!!

The main reason i put the extended hangers on was because when I put the (second hand) rear springs on they already had longer hangers on. This meant that the vehicle had a "nose down" attitude which wasn't a problem except for going down v steep hills in trials and the back wheels would often come off the floor. All i was aiming for was to put the vehicle on an even keel.

However the extra ground clearance was noticable with regards to ground clearance. On one of the sections on the trial at the weekend there was a large pile of stone to go over for the start/ 10 gate and whereas the other leafers were scraping the top and stopping the old trialler went up and over no worries. But there one hell of a bang when the front wheels became unloaded and the prop dropped onto the gearbox crossmember.

I reckon that i'm also going to need extended brake lines as the axle hangs of them on the twisty bits!! oops

When i get the wedges on i'll tell u what they're like. well recommended so far though!!

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Reply to
the ickys

On or around 28 Apr 2004 14:37:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dave Reynolds) enlightened us thusly:

oooer, you must be close to me then. Whereabouts?

I'm about 3 miles from CP, and will be up there tomorrow testing springs for him.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Bring it on!

I have to miss the next trial (family wedding chiz) but I'll be there in June. With any luck I'll see the start gate and not hit it this time! I keep thinking of it as a Bo Derek moment (perfect 10) but Bo Diddley is more like it.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Ah well, your loss is my gain, can i borrow your trailer then please??!

Only need to find something to tow it with. Rear propshaft is cream-crackered on the 90, and theres alot of movement in the transfer box too. I think that if i get hold of this 110, im going to pull out the engine, and trans in one lump and swap it over in one go. I get the feeling that the cant be a worse condition than the ones i have. Watch this space.

P.s. Went to look at a couple of rangies this week. Are there any good ones in West Wales??

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

In article , Dave Reynolds writes

I assume you guys are running SWB?

My military 109 also has a nose down attitude (front of rear springs on the lowest hole, front springs on the top hole). Anybody know if I'd get into problems dropping the front of the front springs down to the bottom hole? I have extended hangers on the rear, don't think so on the front though. Bumper height is currently 19 inches on 750s.

Reply to
John Halliwell

Sure can. Remind me to leave you the key though.

You're gonna need a strong friend to help you with that. Sorry, I'll be at the dentist that day.

Yup, but you're not having it ;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman