So, replacing the auto box in RRC.

As mine is *K*nackered, it looks like I'm going to have to change it for a spare box, then rebuild mine.

So, what's the easiest way for me to do it myself? I've done plenty of work on Range Rovers in the past, but never taken the auto box out of one.

In the LR Tech CD it's going on about some bloody cradle I'm going to need to make, is this worthwhile or is it easy enough without one?

Or should I bite the bullet and get one of the local Land Rover places to do it for me? I'm not too shabby mechanically, but the usual constraints of not enough time and not enough money are both present as always.

Who's done it? Tips and tricks would be useful.

Ta.

Reply to
Pete M

On or around Sat, 4 Aug 2007 01:58:34 +0100, "Pete M" enlightened us thusly:

done it in the 110 by removing the seats and floor and splitting the T-box off first, then the 2 parts of the box can (just, with one) be lifted out one at a time. In the 110 the whole thing is about 1" too long to come out using a crane in one piece.

with a pit and 2 blokes, assuming you can get access to all the (6, IIRC) bolts that hold the box/tbox joint, you could do it like that and lift 'em down by hand. Remember to unbolt the TC from the driveplate though or it comes off the front of the box, which can be a pain although I don't think it does any harm, and it does make the box lighter.

Other than that, you do really need a cradle of some kind on a jack.

The other option if you have a decent engine hoist is to pull the engine and box as a unit, then split 'em once out. more stuff to undo but less hassle in some ways.

Unfortunately, it's not a cheap job. I doubt you'll get anyone to do it for less than about 300 quid. LR say about 6 hours for box-change, but that's optimistic, I'd not reckon myself to do it less than about 12.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Austin Shackles, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Ah, floor removal ain't that easy on a Classic. :-(

Pit / Ramp no problem. I'm sure I can find willing victims to help.

But with two blokes it /might/ be ok..

Not in this thing, removing and refitting the turbo manifold alone takes around 5 hours. There is /a lot/ of plumbing and stuff that a normal Rangie doesn't have. Things like the AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump etc are all in different places. It's a nightmare even considering removing it. Janspeed charged something like £4800 for an engine rebuild last time, and quite a lot of that was labour just to remove / refit it..

I'll have to speak to some of those mechanics who owe me big favours. Spose I'll have to pay 'em a bit as well.

Reply to
Pete M

On or around Mon, 6 Aug 2007 00:39:20 +0100, "Pete M" enlightened us thusly:

I wouldn't try it with 2 blokes unless you can split it into 2 units. I managed to lift the main box without the T-box or TC out of the 110, but that's lifting upwards and it was still heavy.

If you can get the T-box off first I reckon 2 strong blokes could lift the main box down by itself. whether you ever get it back is another story :-)

Yikes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Austin Shackles, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

I was thinking that... :-/

This is the amount of room you have to change the spark plugs, for example...

All good fun..

Reply to
Pete M

On or around Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:27:34 +0100, "Pete M" enlightened us thusly:

That's almost as bad as a Citroen CX. I think, on balance, I'll eschew a turbo on the 110.

Reply to
Austin Shackles