Foot and Mouth

Here we go again, this time down South and right next to some very busy roads like the A3 and A31 that at this time of year are used by holiday traffic from all over the country getting to the S. coast. How they intend to police the zones they have put in force goodness knows.

It's in an area that is popular with walkers, inc. me, so lets hope that's not allowed for a while.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

generally that sort of thing involves culling bovines and ovines within the area so thats a few less walkers then. Sadly I expect the outbreak will be mismanaged yet again and show the inability of renamed departments to run brewery outings. Derek

DEFRA Don't Eat Farm Reared Animals

Derek

To be honest my sympathy lies with the poor bloody farmers whose livelyhood and hours of toil are in jepardy. It is heartbreaking to see all that effort go up in smoke

John H

Reply to
John H

well they should stop feeding cattle, cattle remains. those cheap pellets are composed of offal and skeletal remains from their OWN species. Like us being cannibals.. Last month the govt lifted the restrictions on cattle feed. So most farmers revert straight back to the cheapest option.

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

Market driven I believe, when was the last time you bought all your goods for the week at a more expensive level to be PC ?

Reply to
John H

Doesn't seem to be the case in this instance, my understanding is this outbreak is on common grazing land. A number of farmers have had cattle destroyed.

Not that this has anything to do with the outbreak but I've often wondered how many walkers go on walking holidays abroad to exotic places and then come home and go out walking wearing the same boots without disinfecting them.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Pyres won't, hopefully(*), be a feature of this outbreak. The animals will be culled on farm and transported to incineration plant(s). The next fortnight will tell how bad this is going to be at least they have placed an national ban on all cloven hoofed animal movements pretty damn quick and with a bit of luck the computerised tracking will enable all stock that may have had contact with the infected animals to be traced and tested quickly.

(*) I can still remember the smell on the wind from 2001 and the nearest pyres where 30 miles down wind but being in Cumbria there were an awful lot of them...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes I remember it, we were up there on holiday as it gathered momentum, carpets on the roads etc. Horrible and sad to see the poor sods dealing with it.

Reply to
John H

The marks are still there.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Me thinks thee should be very careful about comments like this. No cattle feed, dry or otherwise is made from offal any longer!!!!!

Reply to
tomtom

The latest information is that a local laboratory that produces anti foot and mouth vaccines could be the source of the infection ! How ironic, if it's true.

bmc

Reply to
Brian Colwell

On or around Sat, 04 Aug 2007 13:35:29 GMT, ZoNeHeaD® enlightened us thusly:

They did, about 1987, when there was all the fuss about BSE. Prior to that there was "mechanically reclaimed animal protein" in some of the cheap feed. Regulations now are a good bit stricter.

and besides, notwithstanding that what you describe is bad practice, it's got sod-all to do with foot an mouth, which is an airborne virus.

Reply to
Austin Shackles