Strange Engine Studder and Check Engine light

I've got a 96 RR 4.0SE.

I am driving to work this morning and notice a weird vibration. It feels like the engine is missing for whatever reason (I associate this with the same feeling if you forgot to hook up a spark plug wire and try to drive). I pressed the gas pedal to the floor and the problem disappeared.

I looked down and noticed my check engine light was on. My service engine light has also been on for a while (82.5k miles when it popped on). So I stop by Autozone after work. The guy comes out with his handy code reader, hooks it up, and it reads "Pass...no codes". We try it a couple more times, and still no codes.

There are 87k miles on it right now. No other problems at all: starts fine, runs great, etc. etc. I haven't done any troubleshooting yet. I plan to unhook the battery cable, and let it sit to see if the code disappears (perhaps it was merely a hiccup in the system).

WHATS THE DEAL

Thanks to all in advance.

db

Reply to