TD5 Oil Change

Dead simple question really for which I'd much appreciate some help. There isn't a Haynes manual that covers my 2001 Defender TD5, and I want to do an oil and filter change. Is there anything odd or different that I need to know, or is it the same as any other car? And what's the torque setting on the drain plug?

Wouldn't it be nice of there were maintenance manuals on-line for Defenders, in the same way there are many makes of motorbikes? Anyone know of one?

Regards and Thanks

Reply to
Henry Crun

Should be done every 12,000 miles and ideally the engine needs to be tuned up using the "Testbook" computer or equivalent!

There are Haynes manuals for the Td5 engined vehicles forthcoming, apparently.

Reply to
Father

There are online manuals hosted by a fellow in belgium or somewhere. I can't remember the link offhand but I am sure that a google search would help.

I am not sure if he has the TD5 yet.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
Fanie

It depends what mileage oil change you are doing. The centrifugal rotor filter is changed every 12000 miles (20000 km) and the full-flow (standard canister type) filter every 36000 miles (60000 km).

Other than that there is nothing special to the Td5 with regard to changing the oil. Test Book (or equivalent) is not required.

I've got the maintenance schedules for the Defender Td5 on my web site at

The torque setting for the drain plug is 23 Nm (17 lbf.ft).

Let me know if you need any more info.

Martin

--

1988 90 Td5 NAS Replica
Martin Lewis

In news:bs4m6l$gb4$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com, Henry Crun wrote: | Dead simple question really for which I'd much appreciate some help. | There isn't a Haynes manual that covers my 2001 Defender TD5, and I | want to do an oil and filter change. Is there anything odd or | different that I need to know, or is it the same as any other car? | And what's the torque setting on the drain plug? | | Wouldn't it be nice of there were maintenance manuals on-line for | Defenders, in the same way there are many makes of motorbikes? | Anyone know of one? | | Regards and Thanks

Some very useful info available on

which can also be used for Defender, including oil change procedures under the How To section.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey

My thanks go to Martin and Mark for the simplest possible and most wonderfuly helpful answers.

Regards

Henry Crun

Reply to
Henry Crun