The new LR2

Silly Useless Vehicle is a perfectly acceptable term IMHO.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

We make allowances on usenet for our colonial cousins and their ways.

Reply to
William Tasso

It depends what sort of guys!

The Land Rover originated just post WWII as the Rover company struggled to stay alive. By hitting a radical new market (competent all rounder on the farm as a horse/small tractor replacement and also usable as a simple road vehicle) with (let's be honest, Brits) technology borrowed heavily from the Willis Jeep, Rover created a real winner. There were massive UK exports worldwide since, as a side effect, the Land Rover became known as a benchmark expedition/harsh environment vehicle. Since then, LR have moved up market (to project the image of a country landowner, even if you aren't one) and also diversified into the new SUV market (to project the image of an out of doors sportsman, even if you aren't one) very successfully.

For those of us who are nostalgic about the UK's trail blazing past, or want a real off road workhorse, the projection of an image is irrelevant, and it's the real off road parameters that matter: adequate engine power coupled as reliably as possible to the terrain via the transmission/suspension etc, and clearance, balance, manoeuvrability and strength to use that traction when you've got it there. Yes, electronics can help a bit, although the big downside is the maintainability, especially in more remote territory. I run an old (nearly 40 years) Land Rover and there's nothing much I can't fix with a simple tool kit and an AF socket set.

Despite my cycnicism about image, LR have worked hard to both to meet the market perceptions and also to maintain their integrity in that their newer vehicles are genuinely designed to be off road capable to an appropriate degree.

So you'll get varying responses. From those like me for whom a trendy image means nothing, the Freelander or LR2 are not likely to perform like a Defender (or, perhaps, even a 101 Forward Control!) in a really harsh environment and therefore not live up to either the nostalgia or the definition of a real off road workhorse. Those more extreme than me may have some harsh views!!

For a good picture of a 101 (the Land Rover I really covet!), btw, look at

For those who admire the new technology and the presentation, comfort, and on road performance, the newer models are praiseworthy and LR should be congratulated on having read the market so successfully.

Sadly, the environmental lobby against 4x4 is (perhaps justifiably) targetting the use of 4x4s to project image rather than fulfil a real need and, if they are successful, LR will have wedded itself to a vanishing market.

Reply to
ArthurC

WTF is a LR2????

Do you mean Discovery 3 ??? Or the Freelander 2 ????? I thought the D3 was the LR2 over the pond etc

Hotmail account? looks suspect to me.

Reply to
Nige

LR2 over the pond etc

Who doesn't use a web based email account these days? Anybody? *shrug*

The LR2 is what it's going to be called when it's out here, as well. That's what I'm referring to it as, since that's what I saw it called around the web in articles, on Autoweek, etc. I think it's technically more like a Range Rover Sport than a Freelander, though. I'm pretty sure the Freelander is getting phased out of the lineup.

Reply to
helena

Heh - I thought LR2 was code for the new Defender.

You really don't know? Most folk that wish to be taken (somewhat) seriously - where appropriate.

As you choose. Credibility is a fragile thing.

BTW - fit a V8 in one and bring it round here for an extended test drive. About a month should do the job - I can promise a completely impartial write up that will leave yer average auto-hack gasping.

Reply to
William Tasso

Well call me belt and braces but a IIa for sheer enjoyment and meccano tinkering bolting things in that should not go in / won't fit depending on who you speak to. Disco for towing our Caravan across Europe for our annual migration, 101 because I can and to show I'm a complete traction-a-holic a Fergie TEF20, now that really turned farming around in the war / post war era.

Oh and a Renault to go fetch all the parts / EP90.

What would I like LR to churn out in the next 5 years? Something to compete against the Navarna and L200 as presently LR has nothing in this league.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I reckon "just fine" and volunteer to test it out - dunno about the Landie, though...

Reply to
Mother

Send me a piccie and I'll let you know at the end of next week after I've been down to the factory.

Reply to
Mother

Stupid Useless Vehicle? Hence, not appropriate to (most) LR's ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

LR2 is a Freelander. Disco 2 and Freelander 1 were so shit in Americy that they had to rename the successors,

Nige wrote:

LR2 over the pond etc

Reply to
ChavScum

Yes, I think I said that farming turned Rover round, not the other way (although the LR did make a contribution). Anyone else out there remember TVO?

A what??

Reply to
ArthurC

Nooo close but no cigar the Disco 3 in the US is the LR 3

the Furloader 2 here in the UK will be the LR2 in the US
in Walford the Defender3 will be known as............the East-Defender cue music I'll get me coat

Derek

Reply to
Derek

kind of different from the

Wanna buy a bike Derek?

Reply to
Nige

No ta mate I'm getting a bit old for that game I nipped round the spares on the stepdaughters pushbike I may never be the same again so motorbike ? computer says no. Derek

Reply to
Derek

I can picture the scene Derek!! I bet it even had a Girly crossbar!!!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

OOh bitchy, mountain bike 18 gears ( I used 3 ) razor blade for a seat no mudguards tyres with Landy tread depth and a frame too small for yr truly beauty of getting older tho is I'm getting shorter down to 5'10 now Ronnie Corbett look out

Derek

Reply to
Derek

"ChavScum" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Amazing what an easy ride you get with an apparently female ID.

Jeremy

(oops)

Reply to
Sabine