there's a bit missing here....

On or around Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:02:37 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

probably a UNC then. if you had a V8 you could nick one from the engine temporarily...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I made one up using the threaded bar available in lengths from Do It All (they stopped doing it a couple of years ago) with two nuts tightened on against each other to turn it. Perfect fit, but I dunno what the thread is. About 3/8, and pretty coarse pitch. Possible B&Q or someone still do it?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:30:30 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

for no reason that I can determine, those threaded rods are either metric or whitworth.

however, and without looking it up, I suspect the 3/8 whit and 3/8 UNC may only differ in the thread angles. ICBW, though, I have a list somewhere but ICBA to hunt it this morning.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Same diamater, same root diameter, same thread pitch (up to 1/2"), andle is 55 deg for Whitworth and 60 deg for UNC, so UNC and Whtworth are interchangeable for all intents and purposes.

Also in an emergency M8x1.25 and 5/16" UNC are interchangeable if you have no other options.

Reply to
EMB