Thermostat replacement on 3.5 V8i RR

For various reasons I'm contemplating replacing the thermostat on my 3.5 V8i RR.

I can't find my workshop manual and am wondering if I can do the swop without disturbing the distributor as the vacuum advance capsule appears to limit access to the thermostat housing.

Any suggestions? Or can I swop the stat without any surrounding dismantling?

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

I managed it on an 83 Rangie no problem but there is probably more gubbins on yours.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Richard,

From memory (done it once on a 3.5efi at least!) you just need to pop the dizzy cap off to get a bit more room....nothing else ;-)

Same rule applies to a 3.9 ;-) .... and I guess my 4.6 ;-)

Neil

Neil Brownlee

Great!

Hi Ho it's out into the cold I go!!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

It is 'doable' on the 3.5 EFi but depends on what sort of spanner or socket you have to get the old one off - it can be a bit of a tight fit with some and then you find that you can only get about 1/8th of a turn before you hit the dizzy or summat.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

will maintain that reading all the time the vehicle is moving under power, i.e. not over-running, even when moving in traffic. Naturally once it has heated up to the point that the Kenlowes cut in it runs hotter than normal for some time after that point.

However once at normal temperature if I descend a long hill at a speed that requires little actual throttle input, e.g. around 60 on a motorway with the cruise control on, the indicated temperature drops to as little as 25% FSD with a corresponding drop in heater O/P.

Am I right in suspecting the thermostat? I had thought that it might have been stuck open - subsequently found not to be the case - but could the delayed closing cause the above symptoms? The big red herring in this saga is that while I had the orginal viscous fan and shroud fitted the temperature (once warmed up) never budged from 50% FSD and it was only once I had fitted a pair of Kenlowes that I experienced the varying temp.

What do you think?

TIA Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage