V8 gearbox...

Ok, have fitted an R380 and new transfer box to my 110 V8. I've had fun with getting it all lined up, and more fun making the linkages work. Now the problem is that I can't make the new clutch work properly. I asked abouit a specific clutch slave cylinder yesterday, and now have another question. Does anyone know if, under the above circumstances, a distance piece between the slave cylinder and bellhousing is required? (part number:- FRC2402. This has arisen because I've not been able to get the clutch tpo operate fully, i.e. I can either have it not able to go into gear, or not able to completely engage. This leads me to believe that the range of adjustment within the cylinder's operating range is wrong, hence the question :0)

`Mark

Reply to
Mark

As I understand it from you other thread, you are trying to use the V8/4-Speed slave cylinder, which is not the same as the R380 one.

Since the arm is the same in both, I'd hazzard a guess that using the R380 one may do the job.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Not quite, they both are for 5 speed's as far as I am aware, or maybe aren't, and were mistakenly fitted origonally, but made to work. The opinions I've had so far range from 'need the right cylinder' to 'happens occasionally when you change so much at once, clutch geometry is different now, innit'. There's seems to be a choice of about 3million different combo's, hence the question about spacers and things... By the way, have you got an FTC5071 in stock? And if so, can you tell me if the bore is 1", and the hydraulic union is a 5/16 UNF thread? Should save me having yet another slave cylinder on the shelf....

Thanks,

`Mark

Reply to
Mark

So was the original box an LT77 - Slave cylinder 591231? That would still be different to the R380 (totally different clutch arm).

I'll dig them out and have a measure up later - but I think the differing positon of the bolt hole "ears" may be the culprit.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Nope, was an LT85, the Santana split-case one. Flanges all mate, bolts go in fine, you puit it all together, it starts, then you test, and get a top speed of 10mph :0( I have learned more wierd landrover lore in the last couple of years than I ever thought possible/necessary/safe for my sanity, oh, hold on, I wn a landy, silly me :0) Cheers Rich, it would be good to find out...

`Mark

Reply to
Mark