V8 head bolt sheared

Whipping the heads off the 3.9 last weekend one of the outer 4 head bolts decided it didn't want to move. Generous amounts of Plus Gas, some gentle heat and lots of torque ended-up with the head shearing off the bolt. Doh.

What I'm pondering is what to do about it. I've heard the outer four head bolts are best left pretty loose, and indeed the later V8s did away with them all together. Seeing as I don't really fancy trying to remove the remains of the bolt from the block, I'm tempted just to leave it as it is. If I do this, should I make any alterations to the torque of the other bolts - particularly the middle and inner row which do most of the work? Should I switch over to using stretch bolts, as fitted to the later engines?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers,

AndyC.

Reply to
AndyC

badger will probably answer this! ;)

following his advice i just fitted composite gaskets to a 3.9 - and found that the composite gasket doesnt even have holes in for the 4 outer bolts - so you cannot fit them even loosely. I am using 10 standard bolts (non stretch as used on the engine when it had tin gaskets and 14 bolts). The unused ones are still cluttering up my shed!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yeah, it had composite gaskets fitted, so I'll be replacing them with the same - I can't remember for sure, but I'm fairly sure the new ones I have (Britpart) have holes for the outer bolts. Doesn't mean they need to be filled mind you :)

Cheers,

AndyC.

Reply to
AndyC

I got elring ones. Instructions in the pack said to use 10 bolts and they obviously enforce this by not putting the holes in the gasket!

Badger also keeps saying to leave them out..

so i'd leave them out. I was going to just put mine in the holes by hand to keep dirt/water out but couldnt even do that in the end.

Reply to
Tom Woods

DO NOT use stretch bolts, they are the spawn of the devil on these engines - the single highest cause of blown head gaskets on later engines! It will do no harm to leave the outer row of 4 out completely on both heads, or even the broken one in place, simply torque the remaining 10 to the book figure of 65lbft in the order shown.

Inboard 9 3 1 6 8 Outboard 7 5 2 4 10

Clean the bolt threads well with a wire brush making sure any old sealant (not required) is removed then torque in stages, initially to about 20lbft, then 35 then 50 then 65. Leave for half an hour and retorque to 65 to allow for any compression within the gasket. Some aftermarket gaskets will compress slightly initially, hence the reason for re-checking. If you do fit the remaining outers, torque to 20lbft after the retorque on the others in the following order - 13 11 12 14. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Thannks Badger - that's what I wanted to hear. I'll give the stretch bolts a miss and go with your recommendations for the other bolts and torquing down. I've no doubt the Britpart gaskets will compress - normally I'd use genuine head gaskets, but I'm planning to take the heads off again over winter, hence the cheapos.

Cheers,

AndyC.

Reply to
AndyC

On or around Sat, 08 Sep 2007 00:27:28 -0700, AndyC enlightened us thusly:

I had one shear flush with the block, once. If you want to remove it, get a largeish nut (about 14mm thread), put it over the hole and mig weld the bit of old bolt that's stuck in the hole to it. Chances are it'll come out - If the welded-on nut breaks off, then repeat the procedure with another nut if necessary. The heat of welding will normally dislodge it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'll maybe give that a shot at some point - the bolt isn't doing any harm, but it's one of those things that niggles me!

Cheers,

AndyC.

Reply to
AndyC