V8 water pump

The pump on my ex MOD 110 has just started weeping and the bearing feels shot, I have a RR V8 with a sound pump but the viscous hub looks different. Are there any basic differences between the 101, RR and 110 V8 water pumps? Will my current viscous hub fit the RR pump?

Prices locally seem to be about GBP80, yet mail order seem to be about GBP40 plus postage!

AJH

Reply to
sylva

As I found out when swapping a 1982 Rangie V8 engine into my ex MoD 110, the Rangie pump is a fair bit longer than the one on your 110. The viscous fan will also fit differently. If they're the same as mine, the

110 one will be held on simply by a thread on the end of the pump threading into the fan unit, and the pulley will be held on by 4 nuts. On the rangie, you'll find that a single large nylock holds on both the pulley and the fan. If you do swap it, you'll have to swap the whole lot. I can't think of any reason it won't just swap other than the length issue - you don't want that big nylock too close to your radiator, of you might find they meet when you go over a big bump...

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

4-bolt pulley fixing, 3-bolt pulley fixing, both with integral male l/h thread for viscous hub, 4-bolt pulley fixing that also retains a removeable l/h male threaded boss, long thin l/h threaded stub that passes right through viscous hub and takes a separate nut, those are the ones that spring to mind, no doubt there are even more variations than these!

Dare I say, you get what you pay for..... having said that, £40 isn't excessive if it turns out not to last too long. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Thanks Paul, Badger and the one welcome help from a commercial reader on the group.

In fact I found it a b****** to get off, firstly the stud was seized and then I thought I had just about enough room to clear the radiator but the bottom long bolt wouldn't clear the thread. I took the rad out and was pondering how to get the viscous unit off when I realised I was out of time to get the part from a dealer some 20 miles away. Only german machines normally need this much dismantling for a small job, I did this same job on a ford 6cyl diesel last month in half an hour.

I will set to tomorrow and will use new parts, as well as the advice here i think the time necessary to swap another old part will probably not repay itself, it would also make my spare engine less usable in the future.

Advice noted, not worth the risk, so replacement pump it is.

AJH

Reply to
sylva