What size of bolt needed for 2.5D sump plug?

A few months ago my landy had a nasty accident, where I lost my sump plug (and thus all my engine oil) on the way to work.

Ive now pretty much finished rebuillding the engine, but I still havent managed to get a new sump plug.

Can anybody tell me what size bolt/thread I need to fill the hole? Then I can go to my local nut and bolt shop and ask for one of the correct size. I have a load of metric nuts and bolts here, and what i'm pretty sure is an M10 almost goes in (The size is pretty much right, but the thread is wrong).

My engine is a 2.5 N/A sherpa diesel (which I think is from about '84 if that makes any difference)

Thanks!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Now thats a plan!

Funny thing is that i checked that mine was tight the day before i lost it (I was searching for oil leaks!). It is nice to know that you can drive a long way with no oil in a 2.5 diesel and not do too much damage! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hi Tom, I have just checked the size of a sump plug, which measures .650 x 18 tpi, which isnt a standard size, if it had been .625 x 18 it would have been UNF Rotty

Reply to
Rotty

Knowing BL it'll be out of the parts bin for the rest of the BL range.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

What engine was that off?

Looks like i'll either be buying a selection of bolts until i get one that fits, or going to the scrappy and trying to find one.

Or i suppose i could investigate an LDV dealer. I dont like main dealers though!

Thanks!

Reply to
Tom Woods

It seems to have a bt of everything!

Half the bits on this engine actually say landrover on (like the crankshaft for example)

I really should have got this sump plug sorted before i fixed the sump onto the engine!.. I could have just taken the whole thing with me then.. Far too easy!

Reply to
Tom Woods

ok,. I give in - its 599552 (Magnetic - £3.38), and the washer is FRC4808 (11p)

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Do you actually have one in stock though?. I've been to a few shops now, and they all say 'Oh - we dont have any of those'.

If i knew what size it was, The nut and bolt place should definately have something in that would fit!

I've just noticed where you are.. Can I get free delivery to Tunstall with one of them? :-)

I've just found your club website too, never knew you existed before!.. I actually used to visit the pub where you meet farily often too.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Woods

We'll see - ordering one today, should know about 5 ish

Yep -"all part of the service, Sir"

We are the slightly dazed looking ones in the corner.....

Reply to
richard.watson

I wish i'd known about you earlier :) If youve got one then youve sold it. Shall ring you tomorrow.

Might come say hello at the end of the month. One of my mates has been nagging everyone to go join a LR club with him, we want to do some green laning.

Reply to
Tom Woods