Should I buy one

Looking at a 04 mini s here in Wisconsin. Im just wondering how the car handles in the snow? Is the traction control benificial? Any general comments about the car would be helpful. Thanks. John. It seems like a bargain at twenty grand

Reply to
1 1

You saw a new 04 S for $20k? Please confirm.

Thanks.

Reply to
iBuyMinis.Us

The base S is a great value at $20K. The options are less so. When you load one up with sport, premium, and nav you start pushing the car into territory where there are a lot of VERY nice cars, for example an Acura TSX.

With good snow tires, the Mini is a good, but not great snow car. The problem is the front air dam and lack of ground clearance in general as well as the obvious lack of AWD. Personally, if I lived in Wisconsin and this was my only car, I'd get a Subaru WRX.

Traction control is standard. The only option you might consider is dynamic stability control (skid control) which would be helpful, but if you're a cautious driver and are willing to slow down in poor conditions, you don't need it - it saves you from mistakes but isn't going to give you any added capability to tackle bad weather.

I like my S a great deal, but I think you need to be engaged to the unique looks, small size and go-cart like handling to appreciate its virtues and overlook its faults. On an apple-to-apple feature basis, cars like the WRX probably are better all-arounders. And the Mini has had a checkered reliability history so far, although it appears the new ones are faring better. Again, I think you need to really be engaged by the car to be willing to put up with the odd problem now and then.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

I have to disagree. I live in NH and this is my second winter. I put 4 Bizzaks on 15" steel wheels (~$500) for the winter and have never had so much fun driving in snow. We tend to take the Cooper instead of the Explorer because we feel much more in control. DSC is awesome. I suppose deep snow would be a problem, but hey, even last winter, which was bad, I never encountered it deep enough to plow because the plows have usually gone through. As for reliability I can only speak for myself, 41k trouble free miles on an '02.

The WRX can perform, but I think its got a real tacked on ricer look with that scoop and spoiler. The Acura is nice as well, just incredibly boring to look at. I like not see myself around every turn.

Reply to
jtpr