ES300 shifts early when cold

I recently purchased a 1997 ES300 and I noticed it always tends to shift too early when it's not fully warmed up. You could be flooring it and it won't go past 3-4k rpm until it upshifts. When warm, it acts fine but it always shifts about 1k rpm before redline begines. I had a 97 Camry V6 before and I don't remember it doing this.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Rog

This would happen if you're not getting enough power. Have you had a tune up lately? But it would have to be REALLY out of tune.

I had similar problems twice and it turned out to be bad spark plug wires the first time and a broken rotor cap the second.

Reply to
RR

Perhaps the ECU/TCU are trying to prevent excessive engine wear by preventing high RPM operation before the engine is warmed up?

Reply to
Chris Aseltine

It's called NORMAL operation. My 2003 Corolla does the same thing too.

Reply to
Philip

My 1994 ES300 does the same thing. Always has. Prolly the fluid in the tranny warming up.

Reply to
dulles