Mercedes Vs. Lexus

LOL.....if anything, my dad while incredibly generous screwed up the whole fam damly.....both of my brothers and I can't seem to keep a car more than a couple of year before we get bored and want something new. Oh and re the sarcasm, forget that my pop had a very successful company. The key for him was buying wholesale (off lease) and then selling for a profit (or no cost for the year used). He just loved the wheeling and dealing of car sales...and it helped that he worked out of the house. Don't hate the plater, hate the game...LOL.

Reply to
b22r

An unreliable car is kinda like a cheatin girlfriend......once you get burned, it's not likely that they will remain your best friend.

A car that starts up for you all the time and never breaks down....a good ole reliable best friend...

Reply to
b22r

LOL.....the unreliable one that she briefly leased was Brit. What she drives now is Ford built. Yea, go figure!

You nailed it!!

Reply to
b22r

16 is right. 1990 was the debut year.
Reply to
Totaltully

OL.....if anything, my dad while incredibly generous screwed up the whole fam damly.....both of my brothers and I can't seem to keep a car more than a couple of year before we get bored and want something new. Oh and re the sarcasm, forget that my pop had a very successful company. The key for him was buying wholesale (off lease) and then selling for a profit (or no cost for the year used). He just loved the wheeling and dealing of car sales...and it helped that he worked out of the house. Don't hate the plater, hate the game...LOL. Damn, I had not realised i betrayed my sentiment! It didnt dawn on me till you pointed it out , that my comments about your wealthy family were tinged with sarcasm. Let me try it again..er, lessee, Just buy a mercedes and resell it every two years even though poor slobs like me hate you for doing it even though we'd do the same thing, or probably worse if we had the intellect to have judiousciosly done what you all did while istead we were pigging out wasting our existence and therefore deserve to be driving a '89 pickups instead of an audi TT_6's. ITs no use, however sincere i try to be , im afraid theres still some resentment.Purely envious spite I assure you; no way around it im afraid-you know, class conflict and stuff.

Reply to
sloppybeak

Actually I think they started selling in 1989. But development, tooling, etc took some time before that.

According to "The Lexus Story" (p. 31) it was a Toyota Board meeting in August, 1983 that made the decision to go into the luxury car market. In reality, that was the birth of Lexus (which was then the "Circle F' project).

Xplant

Reply to
Xplant

Sloppybeak,

I understand where you are coming from. Note that with respect to my dad and his car dealings, the point I was trying to make (though obviously not well enough) was that my brothers and I getting a new car every year had NOTHING to do with money.....my dad just liked to wheel and deal cars and was able to get nice ones off lease cause of a good friend who was doing him a HUGE favor. I think in some ways, my dad would have been happy buying /selling cars....the heck with advertising.

Re my brothers and I getting a new (or used car every 2-3 years.....that my friend is a SICKNESS......and yes, it costs us $$$$....but you can't take it with you when you die and I LOVE cars. For the record, my track record of late (since early 90s) has been:

Honda Prelude--> Honda Prelude VTEC-->Honda Prelude VTEC--> VW Passat (totalled after 1 year)--> Audi A4--> Audi TT--> Mercedes SLK320-->Audi TT

To be fair, some of the moves were for good reasons.....some a$$hole ran a stop sign and totalled my Passat (with me in it), gave my A4 to my wife and had to get rid of the SLK320 cause it was a 6sp and I have knee problems. Still, I admit I do have a sickness. My wife thought it funny that the day after I got my SLK320, I went to the auto show....I love cars.

Cheers,

"210> View this thread:
4655>

Reply to
b22r

Benz far superiour? Interesting. Which of each do you have?

===========BuckShot LeFunk =1998 LS 400

1999 E320 4-Matic

jdoe wrote:

Reply to
Buckshop LeFunk

I think what he's saying is that when it's running properly, the Benz is a superior driving machine.

That's like saying a NASCAR entry is superior.

Unfortunately for the Germans, many people want their cars to work all the time--not just on Sundays, or whenever they feel like it.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty
22 Years? 1990 was the first year.

Lexus could make an ultra luxury car to compete with the Maybach, Bentley and Rolls Royce, but it may not catch on - snob appeal

===========BuckShot LeFunk =1998 LS 400

1999 E320 4-Matic

Totaltully wrote:

Reply to
Buckshop LeFunk

I know what you mean. My cars are now out of warranty, and I have a very good local mechanic who takes care of both. Although both cars have close to 100,000 miles, I have spent a lot more on the Benz than I have on the Lexus. The biggest expense on teh Lex was my last minor service at the dealer.

Benz - Last two years Mileage Service

77,240.00 Minor Service and Inspection 78,435.00 Crankshaft Pulley Replacement 84,319.00 Oil Change 87,489.00 Brake Light Replacement 90,965.00 Oil Change 91,695.00 Tires 92,043.00 Brakes and Transmission Seal

Lexus - Last Two Year

71,049.00 5,261.00 Oil Change 74,464.00 3,415.00 Oil Change 77,892.00 3,428.00 Minor Service and Inspection 82,864.00 4,972.00 Oil Change 86,178.00 3,314.00 New Tires 87,302.00 1,124.00 Oil Change and Wheel Alignment 92,585.00 5,283.00 Oil Change 97,460.00 4,875.00 Minor Service

===========BuckShot LeFunk =1998 LS 400

1999 E320 4-Matic

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Reply to