Why cant Toyota or Honda make a car that drives just like a BMW?

"SoCalMike" wrote

There were also about 1000 Civics for each Bimmer when new, so ...

Gee, I just spent $65 for new front pads for my '91 525i - I guess I owe the parts place some money...

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

We on the BMW NG are not -- the original poster spammed 3 newsgroups so all we are doing is answering the crap...... or non crap as the case may be.

Honda build fantastic cars (I say this as a BMW owner) but whereas a 740i BMW can hit 155 with ease the equivalent Honda cannot but I must agree the ride of both cars is impeccable but the BM handles just that bit better.

Toyota/Lexus also build great cars but the same sentiments as above apply.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

I used to buy only FORDS --- (UK) but when I came by my first BMW (to own) I haven't bought another Ford.... other makes yes but not a Ford. The new Euro Mondeo is a great car but not for me --- sorry!

I have owned other cars going from a rusty Renault to a P400 Lambo and a couple of Ferraris but to drive everyday and be practical the BMW meet my wishes and as the adverts say ---- THERE ARE OTHER CAR MAKERS but I don't choose to buy them.

Hugh

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@bognor-bill.co.uk

Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

------------------------------------------------- Vyisder Asmeni Orsisarsis Asderisorsis. B.Cozderiz Vunarz PERORZ

Hugh Gundersen

You know nothing my friend. My history is working with "Jap" cars - the word JAP is shortened because it is easier to type. I notice you don't pick it up when I simply refer to American a (US) so don't get you arse wound up over "Jap" and notice that I use the capital J as respect for the PROPER NOUN as in the name of the country as in US (but US also stand for Un-Servicable).

I used to build turbo cars for Toyota GB Dealers and never had any complaint. This kept Toyota in the frame in UK when all other car importers and makers had fast turbo cars but Toyota didn't at the time - we in the UK did not have the 6 pot Supra at the time and when they decided to import this we were asked to stop producing the turbos as OE dealer fitted extras as they were faster than the Supra.

DO NOT slur me on my respect for Japanese cars.

Eff off wanker!

Hugh

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@bognor-bill.co.uk

Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

------------------------------------------------- Vyisder Asmeni Orsisarsis Asderisorsis. B.Cozderiz Vunarz PERORZ

Hugh Gundersen

The same happens in Japan --- no old car as it's too expensive to keep them.

BTW Japan exports all their scrap car parts to keep the cars running all over the world. Especially the US, UK, Africa and Australia.

Hugh

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@bognor-bill.co.uk

Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

------------------------------------------------- Vyisder Asmeni Orsisarsis Asderisorsis. B.Cozderiz Vunarz PERORZ

Hugh Gundersen

We do don't we -- just a different shape?

Hugh

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@bognor-bill.co.uk

Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK

------------------------------------------------- Vyisder Asmeni Orsisarsis Asderisorsis. B.Cozderiz Vunarz PERORZ

Hugh Gundersen

Perhaps the major component like the engine tranny, which usually doesn't go bad. However most of the other parts are probably local. It'd be a disaster if the local assembly line had to wait for some minor component to be shipped from japan.

Pars

Reply to
pars

BMW doesn't have the engine in the rear! I wonder which 2 wheel drive would be better in the wet or snow. Also, I've heard that about 80 percent of the Porches ever made are still on the road (that stat might be a little less now). I wonder how many of he BMW's that were made are still on the road.

Pars

"Dave @ dCautomotive.com" wrote:

Reply to
pars

You've aptly discribed the SRT4's character. Just because something's cheap, doesn't mean that it doesn't have character.

BTW, You might have better lock 'pussyfooting' the wife around in a WRX.

Pars

"C.R. Krieger" wrote:

Reply to
pars

in article gUc8b.39791$ snipped-for-privacy@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net, SoCalMike at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 9/12/03 12:33 AM:

Do you have any data at all to back that up? Having owned both Hondas and BMW's for years (right now I have a 330i and a CRV- both superb vehicles), I can't say I find a big difference in parts prices. BTW, my 87 325is that my nephew now owns, is still going strong with over 200kmi on the clock. Original engine, clutch, tranny, rear end. There's lots of those E30's still running around the streets here.

Reply to
John Stone

You are talking about low-intelligence or higher intelligence, but ignorant type of people.

A friend of mine from Germany laughs at us over here when we drool over a Porsche. Don't get me wrong, I am a little moved by them as well, but the point is that she claimed that Porsches in Germany were like GM's over here; very affordable and found everywhere.

The high-end BMW's I am impressed with, but that follows suit for most high end cars of any manufacturer. The BMW

3-series is just a garden variety car to me, or actually worse...a garden variety car that is a PITA to own as it is expensive, expensive to maintain, and has little of a return in owner satisfaction for that type of expense.

Unless I give a flip about what others think...which I don't. :-)

Regards

Reply to
<olllllllo

| us driving enthusiast that want a car that drives like a BMW

Spk for yourself ( real thick facial skin ), I want 4ws. European brands still refuse to admit 4ws is superior to 2ws.

Reply to
Lim PE

Chris Bangle is American but he lives and works in Europe for a European company. Therefore his work is European. It might have more or less strong American influences.

I'm European but I live and work in the US for an American company. The work I do here is most certainly American.

Reply to
Ignasi Palou-Rivera

That's very largely geographically dependent. Around here, SF Bay Area, older BMWs are plentyful. Especially older 3 series like E21s and E30s. There are quite a bit older 5 series, E28 and older, and even 7 series, E23s and the like.

Reply to
Ignasi Palou-Rivera

That's my point. Compared to being a 'Jag-you-are', it's 'just' a Ford. But you're also correct. The basic car is an excellent one, especially in its price range. I've been very tempted by the SVTs.

If only they weren't all FWD, I'd be in one in a nanosecond. But this is Wisconsin and I live 25 miles from Road America ...

Sometimes I wish I weren't. It's almost embarassing.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Why indeed. I don't know where you've been shopping, but in my experience, BMW parts are no more expensive than any other -- especially as the cars get older. And there are plenty of "cheap" Japanese cars with things like $300 taillight lenses...

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

That has more to do with land values and labor rates in Japan. Plus ultra-strict vehicle inspections...

Indeed they do...

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

My last E30 had around 350k on it, and last I heard it was still going strong.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

I don't know, but it may have something to do with the number of cars sold initially?

I don't remember seeing very many bimmers running around in '85. I do remember seeing way too many civics!

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gates

How many '85 Civics does he see on the road now I wonder?

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody

Sold my 85 Civic last year, and the fella is driving the crap out of it. It spent all of its life in the snowbelt, and had 160k miles with orig starter, clutch, water pump, CV shafts, alternator....

Reply to
Platil