106 brake balance

My bird's 106 (diesel, drum brakes at the back) has rather disturbing brake balance. If you brake sharply, the back locks up well before the front. It's not always been like this as when she bought it 6 months or so ago it braked perfectly normally when I had a drive of it and stamped on the brakes. It's done naff all miles since them and the handbrake has seized on twice due to lack of use. Do I need to pull the drums off and give them a clean up with some sandpaper, or is there a brake proportioning valve on the rear beam which could be dead?

Reply to
Doki

Mother's 306 has a brake proportioning valve. It had a propensity to seize and cause the car to fail an MOT when the car stopped being repped to the moon and back a few years ago. We just used to let MOT man fix it. Can't say what he did to it, but 106s are probably a bit like mini

306s, so your bird's 106 might have one. Have a look next time you've got some mates who can lift it for you. (c:
Reply to
Douglas Payne

Go for the easy option first; change the handbrake cables; if these have seized the shoes will be on the drum even before you stamp on the pedal.

I *believe* that a proportioning valve is not fitted to a disc/drum setup as discs are inherently more efficient than drums

Reply to
Steptoe

The message from Douglas Payne contains these words:

If it's anything like the LDV ones - got hold of the lever and waggled it up and down vigoursly.

Reply to
Guy King

Same thing happened on my 306 last year - a bit of percussive maintenance fixed it.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

Not the case on my 306 Dturbo (rear drums).

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

Yeah, I always had the suspicion that the bloke smacked it about a bit and charged me £30. I didn't really mind, he's gotta earn a living, and at least he wasn't trying to tell me it needed a Penang sensor or 3 new glibshafts at £400 a time.

Reply to
Douglas Payne