Rotation Arrows - also signify on which side to install?

If the arrow showing direction of rotation on a Nord Frost3 (Gislaved) is also showing if the tire is right or left, then I have four righties and one lefty. Does it make any difference? I will in any case put a matching pair on the front of my FWD car, and let the rear be two righties.

Thanks and Merry Christmas, Mac (Canada)

Reply to
Mac

An unmounted directional tyre will go on either side of the car.

However once you fit it to a wheel (it can be fitted in two orientations) then that fixes which side of the car it must go on.

Get a tyre fitter to remove one of your rear "righties" and remount it the other way to make it a "lefty".

Reply to
Chris

So for directional tires, the tread must be in sync all around. Thank you.

Reply to
Mac

Is the tread asymetrical (different pattern on inside & outside of tread)? If not then it shouldn't matter whether they're on the left or the right.

Reply to
Scott M

Asymetrical tyres have to be mounted the right way round on the wheek, not on any particular side of the car, directional tyres go on a particular side, not any particular way round

Reply to
Duncan Wood

There are also directional asymmetrical tyres which are actually marked for left or right fitment.

And if your car has different width rims front and rear, each of the four tyres is different, and will only go in one position. You need to carry four spares around ;o)

Reply to
Chris

Errr, no way Jose! You've got directional & asymmetrical confused with each other, ie directional tyres have an arrow shaped tread (usually) that has to point in the direction of travel and since they're symmetrical they can go either side of a car. will give you pictures of both.

Reply to
Scott M

Hmmm... The way I read his post he implicitly meant that >Is the tread asymetrical (different pattern on inside & outside of

Once a rotational the tyre is on the wheel it can only go on one side of the car (left or right). Unless you meant it doesn't matter whether it goes on the left or right *before* it's fitted to the wheel.

I have a feeling we all know exactly what we're talking about here, just not explaining it very well!!!

Reply to
Chris

Well, yes, but that goes without saying. Once a set of tyres are mounted on rims it's fairly limiting as to what goes where.

Reply to
Scott M