6th Gen. Honda Civic front suspension noises

Picked up a 1996 Honda Civic VTi a couple of days ago. 3 door hatchback. Travelled just over 90k miles. I know the previous owner (he's a close relative). It has been well looked after mechanically.

Driving at normal speeds and going over pot holes makes clunk noises from the front suspension. It's worse on the front passenger side than the driver's side.

The ride is fine/perfect, it's just the noises. Full lock left/right makes no noises either.

The common problem this model has with the rear anti-roll bar links has been replaced many times over the last 50k miles. Most recent one was 6 months/2k miles ago. MOT and service was also done then.

Also, the steering is a bit 'wavy', which I've experienced previously in a Fiat. That was then fixed with a new pair of front track control arms (the bushes were worn?).

But, what's causing the knocking noises?

I can't see on any of the receipts if the front suspension has ever had any attention or been reported on the road test sheets.

I want to take it to the local Honda dealer (Lookers, Nottingham), where the car has always been since brand new (I have all the receipts). What could be the possible fixes and how much would it cost?

Thanks, Tanuj.

Reply to
ts86

Don't know the suspension setup but does it have a bottom wishbones? if so could well be them, also maybe the droplinks assumimg it has them as well.

As to taking it to a Honda main dealer think of a number times it by three then double it & that will be the labour charge, add to the top of that the parts at four times a factors price & you'll be somewhere close. But why in ********** (insert your head of faith) name would you want to take a 1996 90k car to a main dealer?

Reply to
Alan Smith

It has double wishbone suspension all round. That's all I know.

Are droplinks to do with the anti-roll bar?

Don't know of a decent independant locally?

Anyway, I thought I could get them to have a look and then quote, for free? I can then take it somewhere else?

Reply to
ts86