Torx bit size query

During the process of removing the passenger seat from a Volvo V70 today, I encountered a Torx screw for which I not only do not have a bit of the correct size, but for which there doesn't seem to be a correct size bit at all! A T55 bit is too big to fit; a T50 too small. AFAIK there are no intermediate sizes in the standard Torx series. When I measure the distance between opposite external points of the 6-pointed star from this screw, it comes out at 0.4" give or take a thou. What's going on here?? Any ideas?

Reply to
Al

Are the #points# pointed or are they flat? Ribe bolts are 6 fingered, but the fingers are squared off. there are also polydrive which are also 6 'point' but with rounded valleys.

Your measurement would correspond with an M10 Ribe bit.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Never consciously come across them before. ISTR thinking once or twice that a torx bit was a bit looser than I expected.

Reply to
newshound

Neither; they're rounded, as in this crappy diagram:

Al

I should also mention that the points are markedly more sharply rounded than the valleys are, as you can see in the picture.

Reply to
Al

hexalobular is another name for Torx

Reply to
MrCheerful

No, that doesn't look right either. I think I'll just throw caution to the wind and file and/or grind down my T55 bit to fit. I'm quite good at sculpting, fortunately.

Reply to
Al