Advice wanted on buying E Reg transit diesel 2.5 Di

Can as objectivly as possible give me every good and bad point on the Ford Transit 2.5 Di , anyone who has ever had one tell me your problems what go's wrong with them what should i look for, rust, are they economical, how many miles could i expect to return for 20 pounds of diesel thats 26 Litres and lastly how much is spares for such a van, any advice sought before i buy this one i have my eye on, ive heard they is slow too, im more interested in fuel economy really, local use anyway, ive been offered an E reg 2,5 Di for

300 pounds in semi high single wheel is this good or about right.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Hoad

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tim Hoad" saying something like:

The condition of them depends almost entirely on what they've been used for and how they've been driven. Some heavy-footed tosser can kill one in less than 50Kmiles, others can run for well over 250Kmiles with regular servicing and ordinary use.

As far as the engine goes - if it starts ok, doesn't make any nasty rattles or smoke it's probably ok for a good while yet.

The gearboxes last for ages, but some lose fifth gear - easily remedied at a breakers'.

The rear axle on all RWD Transits tends to whine a bit - some get really noisy but seem to carry on forever. You eventually end up replacing it with a known good one just for the sake of peace.

Rust spots... round about the front arches, under the side skirts and rear arches, the usual kind of places. If the vehicle's been used to carry any corrosive chemicals, you'd be well advised to check out the chassis thoroughly - it's not unknown for an old spill inside to lead to some serious corrosion years later.

Economy... Depends. On motorway use, I'd get 35mpg, but sometimes hit

  1. Round town, it'd drop to around 26 and my average would consistently be around 31 mixed use.
300quid for an E-reg that goes, stops, doesn't smoke, and has a ticket... you can't really go far wrong if it's all there and working.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

i am replacing a toyota hi ace petrol which drank fuel and atracted vandels like a magnet, it only did 85 miles for 20 pounds 26 litres of petrol will a transit diesel be cheaper to run?.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Hoad

The message from "Tim Hoad" contains these words:

Provided you don't thrash it, yes.

Reply to
Guy King

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Tim Hoad" saying something like:

Work it out for youself.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon