American cigarette lighter socket

Hi all,

A bit off topic, off to Detroit in the morning, are US and European car cigarette lighter sockets the same, i.e. will I be able to charge my satnav in hire car using the standard uk car charger?

thanks

Steve

Reply to
smarshall

No the American ones are always bigger!

Reply to
Tum Te Tum

And better I suppose!

Reply to
smarshall

Yes - BUT - many hire cars have the fuse pulled on the cigarette lighter, so make sure you check it's powered up before you take the car out.

I've got a set of croc-clips hooked up to a cigarette lighter that I take with me, just in case all else fails - I can connect direct to the battery.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

I found many have cigarette lighter (type) socket in the boot as well as under the arm rest.

Reply to
John

You mean the trunk?

Reply to
Tum Te Tum

Absolutely. None of this bitching about the weather / how-do-you-do stuff.

It's the same voltage if the car also runs a 12v set up.

Reply to
DervMan

Trunk makes much more sense than boot.

Reply to
DervMan

Er yes - the trunk.

Reminds me of a conversation in LA Airport - I was talking about lorries on the UK roads and the American guy hadn't a clue what I meant. Our terminology is totally alien to them.

Hood Trunk Gas Highway Interstate Sidewalk etc

Reply to
John

Petrol isn't a gas, it's a liquid!

Reply to
Tum Te Tum

Only at some temperatures.

Gas makes as much sense as petrol, both are a shortened form of a technically more correct name.

Reply to
DervMan

Oh indeed. I married a lady from California.

Reply to
DervMan

The message from "John" contains these words:

Median strip Soft shoulder Red lights!

Reply to
Guy King

To add a few more. Wrench Muffler Fender Wheel lug

Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Gas - short for Gasolene

Reply to
John

Agreed - Median is an important one to know - Also the unfamiliar term "Yield"

Reply to
John

Britain and America - two countries divided by a common language!

(The US-published manual for my Previa has a translation page pasted in!)

Reply to
asahartz

That's silly. water is a gas if the temperature is high enough. In fact any liquid is. At normal temperatures petrol is liquid.

Reply to
Tum Te Tum

Normal? Normal for what? Storage? Being used?

LPG or Propane is stored as a liquid but burnt as a gas.

Reply to
DervMan

The message from Tum Te Tum contains these words:

Not for long in an open container.

Reply to
Guy King