Antifreeze colours - mix OK?

I just got a VW Golf (89) with green coolant in it, which is pretty low so I want to top it up. My bottle of antifreeze is blue (Halfords type). Am I right thinking that these ARE mixable - just to top up to keep me going for a week or so until I can get to drain and replace it?

Cheers C

Reply to
chocolatea

I *think* that you'll be ok with blue and green - AFAIK it's just the luminous "toxic waste special orange/pink" colour that you don't want to be mixing with darker (green/blue) type colours.

But I'd ask someone who actually knows, instead of trusting my word.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That's what I thought.....

Reply to
chocolatea

I would have thought plain water would be OK for a week, unless you're in tundra country.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

As long as they are the same type of coolant then you are fine.

Do'nt mix something like Glysatin and glycol though - odd things like gelled antifreeze are possible as my father can attest with a bunged up Jaguar.

Reply to
Chris Street

Not sure what VW spec coolant should be. I know the Skoda stuff is bright pink and rebadged VW coolant.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2