Autoglass prices

Needed a new windscreen for my Vectra's MOT Autoglass quote was £601 but don't worry you can claim off your insurance! My insurance has £75 excess and would drop points off NCB Shopped around and National Windscreens quoted, £150 for plain glass or £162 for green sun tint at the top. We have a one with the tint in stock and can do it now. I'll be down with the car! Less than a 1/3 of the price. Now I know why Autoglass can afford the big TV advert.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Dodds

I can't recall the exact figures, but I had a very similar experience with my Rover. A local windscreen place was *far* cheaper than Autoglass. It's the same with British Gas and local heating engineers.

Reply to
Andy Cap

With a name like yours, we must be from the same town! Probably used the same windscreen place

Bob

Reply to
Bob Dodds

Priced to make you claim on your insurance

Reply to
steve robinson

it is much the same as buying insurance or windows, keep asking for quotes and saying what someone else has quoted, eventually you get to the lowest price, often this is less than a quarter of the first price, my sisters renault needed a screen and was quoted 400, my local place quoted 120 cash, she went back to the first place and told them, their price went down to

110cash, as they were very close to her she accepted that.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

Far more competent, too, going off my experiences in the past.

Reply to
Adrian

Bob

Are you sure about ypur loss of NCB because of a windscreen replacement?

My Insurance Co (some years ago now) at my last screen renewal paid for it to be done without loss of NCB - I did have to pay (then) a 45 excess. It may be worth asking them to clarify matters.

BTWm my nsurance company is LV=

Reply to
Ormolu

my experience too, Autoglass seem to employ some incompetents. A customer had a chipped screen right in front of the driver AG said they would repair it and if the repair was not OK they would replace the screen FOC, the repair was terrible and failed the MoT (quite reasonably) AG then said they could not change the screen because they couldn't undo the trim screws, I took them out with only moderate effort, they then changed the screen but snapped off part of the wiper retention mechanism and glued it back on with silicone, not surprisingly that fell off and I repaired it. Considering windscreens are their job, they were absolute rubbish at several stages on this one job.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mine was a new screen in the old Saab 900. Three hours. And it leaked like a sodding sieve.

"Fortunately", it picked up another stone within a few months, and the next lot got it right - with a new seal, to replace the one AG had ripped the corners out of...

Just had the local guys replacing the double-glazed plastic upstairs window in the van's hightop, after a pigeon gave it a headbutt at 60mph. It'd have been a nice easy job. If it was five foot nearer the ground.

Reply to
Adrian

The rear screen on my SD1 shattered when the demister was in use. Possibly localised overheating.

Direct Line agreed to replace it without loss of NCB, and told me to contact AutoGlass. Which I did. They claimed not to be able to source a new one. Rimmer has them - but only in clear or green, not bronze, and priced at under 200 quid. A mate in the trade did some checking and found a bronze one - in the AutoGlass central warehouse. They said it was the wrong one, but eventually got it sent here and it was correct.

The fitter brought it here and fitted it in the street - on his own. Showed me the invoice - 650 quid. Was panicking about it being an SD1 - but the rear screen is in a conventional rubber. Which he hadn't got a new one of - for a 25 year old car. He fitted it totally dry - and of course it leaked. Took it to the depot and they 'sealed' it. Still leaked. Eventually, they agreed to fit a new seal if I supplied it. Again fitted dry - even although I gave them a copy of the fitting instructions from the BL manual showing which sealers to use. And it leaked again. They also manage to make deep scores in the paint in two places when removing it. The car had had a total re-spray a couple of year previously.

I gave up on them, and sealed it myself. One of the most incompetent companies I've ever had the misfortune to have dealings with.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If location was a factor, it'd be more likely be Sandy or Jules!!

FWIW the place is...

of Worthing. They cover Sussex.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

And, for the sake of completeness, the good ones I used were

of St Albans & Uxbridge.

Reply to
Adrian

Factor 3 the only time I got a quote from them too

Reply to
newshound