Best Rated threads in Car Maintenanceshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Rear view mirror fell off and damaged windscreen - what now?
Yesterday my girlfriend called me to say the internal rear view mirror had parted company with the windscreen on her Citroen C3. Simple enough, I thought. It's happened plenty of times before on other...
19
19

ford focus over fueling
Two years ago I posted a question about the behaviour of the alternator charging on my brother's 99 turbo diesel 1.8 focus, Tim and Conor replied. New Ford alternator fitted. Now there is a recurrence...
15
15

Toyota Yaris key battery change
Rather than pay a dealer to change a battery I'd rather buy one and fit it myself but does the key need reprogramming afterwards? On my Seat Alhambra there's a sequence of various button presses and...
5
5

alternator, battery or fuel filter?
Hi guys, im looking for a bit of free advice as i am hopless with cars and hope you can help. first the background i bought a g reg escort poplar about 5 weeks ago from an 80 year old nun who kept it...
25
25

hyundai amica - o2 sensor and other things
Appreciate some feedback on any of this... 1) wife's Amica is hesitating when accelerating and (I asked before) does look like some sensor going west. As I can't get a workshop manual for it (doesn't...
2
2

ECU water temp sensors
Generally speaking, if a water temp sensor is unplugged while an engine is running, what should happen? A Felicia 1.3 MPi is puzzling me in that there is no difference in running whatsoever, at any...
7
7

Mondeo front strut pinch bolt
Our Mondeo Mk2 has bust a spring. A helpful friend reckoned I'd be best off swapping the whole strut, which I'm now starting to question. Anyway, I picked one up from the scrapyard yesterday, then...
5
5

Mercedes Vito van - fuel consumption?
Mercedes Vito van 111 Looked all over the net to try and find the fuel consumption but no good Mostly around the town driving............ got any ideas? Bruno

10 volts in battery
Hi, I was just checking a battery I have and it says it has 10.55v on the multimeter is that enough to crank a car ? or does it need a charge ... I was thinking if I put it back in the car and take it...
17
17

Punto mk2 heater fan
Hi Heater fan doesn't work, unplugged it, multimeter shows voltage across the terminals, on all fan switch speed settings including the ones that go through the resistor. Assumed fan was duff, but got...
10
10

Stiff steering on Cit ZX
Citroen ZX 1.9D Power steering. Steering goes stiff and won't self centre. Clunk coming from front off side . Does this sound like bottom ball joints needing replaced? Upper suspension bearings are...
3
3

Clio odometer
Just got a clio 2001 dynamic diesel and the only readout on the digital odometer is the mileage, there is no bottom section where the trip mileage should be, there is only a capital M there instead....
2
2

Nissan Micra. Is this a clutch problem?
Hi, I have a Micra with a manual gearbox. Recently when driving the car out of the garage and then pulling away I get this tinny vibration, a bit like something rubbing on a coil spring. This happens...
10
10

Clio immobiliser
Hi all, My son bought a Renault Clio 1.2 some weeks back, assuming he would pass his test first time. He didn't, nor the second, and the Clio sits there looking unloved. I try to give it a short run...
5
5

Paint on rust converter
I would like to use a paint on rust converter to deal with surface rust on the underneath of my van. I have tried Loctite 7503 and Rust Doctor, but when I have used them before the rust still seems to...
15
15

Vauxhall Astra Air-con relay
Hi Guys, I'm looking for the relay which operates the air-con pump on my X-reg Astra (1.7 diesel). When the switch is pressed there is no voltage appearing on the lead which goes into the pump (I...
5
5

how dangerous is hydrogen sulfide (cat exhaust?)
people who work with cars are familiar with the rotten egg smell that a cat produces as exhaust. this is hydrogen sulfide. i looked this chemical up on wikipedia which places it on par with hydrogen...
5
5

Punto loosing oil at a rapid rate
I've posted a couple of times about this but I thought it was due to a visible leak on the rear crank shaft seal. After getting this fixed, my Punto (90K miles) is still going through oil at a...
7
7

B**** flooded focus tdci 1.6
Drove through what I thought was a small puddle lying on a road , only to find the road dipped in the middle and it was 2 foot deep :( Obviously car cut out and had to climb out of window and push it...
12
12

Mondeo Mk1 diagnostic
There is no 3-pin diagnostic connector near the steering fluid reservoir on my '94 Mondeo, but there is an OBD style (I guess) connector bellow the steering column. Does it mean that the car supports...