Best Rated threads in Car Maintenanceshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

acea a5/b5 oil
Hi, My OH drives a Vauxhall Astra (1.4L petrol, 56 plate), which she has owned for a year, so it's time to change the oil for the first time. I've run into two problems, eurocarparts lists two oil...
16
16

Transit cylinder head and diesel injectors removal
Ok taking my cylinder head off the transit 2.5D. Haynes manual says remove the injectors (stanadyne slim tip). My ones seem well stuck in there and not having an injector removal tool can I just leave...

No output from alternator - thoughts?
I've discovered the battery has suddenly stopped charging on my 1996 Escort 1.8 Zetec. Having stupidly replaced the battery without thinking, I've realised that the problem is with the alternator:...
18
18

Citroen Saxo - broken idle stepper motor?
Howdy. My car just went in for a service and an analysis to see why it's been running so poorly - it has one main problem: the engine idles at very low revs from cold and either makes the car shake...
2
2

Citroen C5 eco mode??
My C5 has a habit of reverting to eco mode after being parked for a while. The steering wheel controls stop working etc. Usual fix is a trip to the dealers for a computer reboot or whatever they there...
4
4

substitute for that copper washer on oil sump drainplug
Just wondered if anyone has tried PTMF tape instead of that copper drain plug washer - and if so did it work? I'm always forgetting to get one (some) seal-washers when doing an oil change - until I...
12
12

Citroen c3 wiper motor
I'm replacing a C3 front wiper motor and struggling to remove the plastic shroud that covers the motor and liokage. Any tips?
1
1

1.8 Zafira high idle when cold
Hi, just bought a Zafira 99. It idles high when cold ( 1100 -1200) but is fine when fully warm (800) any ideas? Cheers
8
8

Fiesta starting problems
Fiesta 1.1i 1994 L reg. Hi, Had the car over a year now and it has always been a temperamental starter. Originally thought this was linked to the cold but she's been starting fine in temps of -6C....
16
16

Removing Citroen roof bars.
Went to remove them and found they are secured by pentagonal drive 'Allen' type socket screws so I'll have to buy one. Possibly from Citroen dealer, but is there a special name for this type of key,...
21
21

[SOLVED] Omega immobilizer problem
Car won't start. Button on the key won't operate central locking or turn immobilizer off. Fitted new batteries, still no joy. Anybody know what it could be? T.I.A. Jim.
10
10

Fiesta (Endura engine) with seized (but working) spark plugs
I've got a 10-year-old Fiesta with the 1.3 Endura engine. The spark plugs are probably rusted into the cylinder head, and may snap if I try to remove them, a known issue with this engine. They were...
26
26

Rover 214i Stalling - could it be the inertia switch??
Hi, I am looking at a Rover 2.4i (L-Reg) with an intermittent stalling problem which appears to be fuel starvation. According to the wiring diagram in the Haynes workshop manual, there in an "inertia...
7
7

Carisma misfiring problem
Hi was wondering if any of you guys could help me out with a problem with my 1998 1.6GL Mitsubishi Carisma. I have had a misfiring problem over the last year or so, this happens on anything but light...
2
2

Fiesta not charging problem, puzzling problem
I'm getting a bit desperate now, I hope someone can help me... I've got a Fiesta 1.8D, 1996. Earlier this week, the charge warning light came on (well, half on) whilst driving home. It was also...
4
4

Thermostat Location: Seat Ibiza 1994 1.9D Engine (also Golf/Polo/Vento)
Clue's in the title, really - where's the thermostat on my 1994 vintage Seat Ibiza 1.9 diesel (1Y series engine, as also fitted to the VW Golf/Polo/Vento of similar vintage)? The Haynes manual says...
2
2

Ford transit 2.5 diesel - broken
i have a Ford transit 2.5 diesel and am currently encountering problems. the problem is that when the van starts its runs smoothly for a few minutes before the engine gives a bang and lots of black...
6
6

Corsa handbrake adjustment
I have an N registered 1.7 Vauxhall Corsa diesel on which last week the handbrake cable snapped. This weekend I replaced it, but am unable to adjust the slack from it completely - pulling the lever...

Rover 45 Clock Bulb
Hi All I thought the interior digital clock had packed up in my 2001 Rover 45 but it would appear that although the clock is working, the bulb that illuminates it has failed. I cannot figure out how...
2
2

Vauxhall Zafira gearbox problems
2000 2.0 Dti Zafira. First gear only difficult to engage at best, impossible at worst. Linkage cables replaced and selector on outside of gearbox lubed at dealer suggestion, to no avail. Could it be...
5
5