Best Rated threads in Car Maintenanceshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

peugeot 206gti fuel pump doesn't prime
Hi, first post here. My year 2000 206gti (40000 miles) has the following problem: Occasionally when starting the car, the fuel pump does not prime (you can hear it), and then of course the engine will...
1
1

timing belt Citroen Jumper
Is changing the timing belt relatively easy on a Citroen Jumper 2.5tdi I have been unable to find a workshop manual for this vehicle does anyone know if one exists?
3
3

removing and refitting headlight on 1996 Renault Clio
In my Haynes manual it says that in order to replace the headlight unit on my Clio I need to remove the bonnet and the bumper. Why? Is it just for ease of access? I can't see why I need to do remove...
2
2

WinErgy motor oil from Lidl
I bought 5 litres of this stuff yesterday because it was only about £6, says it's made in Germany, does anyone else use it?
2
2

Battery charger shorts out?
The brother-in-law has an old car that he wanted to take to the breakers yard and asked if I could charge the battery. It had been stood for several months without starting so was flatter than a...
35
35

'96 Ford Fiesta Ghia 1.25 won't start
Got a problem with my car ('96 Ford Fiesta Ghia 1.25), and excuse me if its obvious but im a novice here. The engine doesnt come on at all, no sound of it turning over or trying to start, just a very...
12
12

Octavia gearbox
Ok I know they're weak, anyway 1.9 SDi Skoda Octavia on a 51 plate, done 240,000 miles. Middle of last week the gearbox started whining, mainly in 4th and 5th more annoying than loud. Today it started...
9
9

New Zafira - Fumes coming from heater vents
I have just taken delivery (5 day) of a brand New Zafira diesel and every time I turn on the heater I contantly get diesel smell fumes coming out of the vents, does anybody know it this is normal on a...
2
2

Speedo wobble on Citroen ZX
Does anyone know the cure to stop my ZX speedo needle wobbling? Could it be a duff cable? It's on a ZX Reflex 1.9D.
6
6

Skoda Fabia 1.4 16 valves - Revs drop below 1000rpm whilst idle
Hi, I have a problem with my fabia. When the car is idle (sat at traffic lights etc) the revs drop below 1000rpm then goes back to 1000rpm as if i was reving the engine. I have a couple of warning...
2
2

How to find if the battery or charger is faulty?
I am trying to recharge a new(less than 2 years old) battery but am finding that it is not working. I am using a Challenge battery charger which is a cheapo i got from Argos and have used successfully...
17
17

Seat Ibiza Service lamp reset
Just had an 53plate 1.4 Ibiza in for service, and couldnt reset the spanner lamp. Think my method my be wrong, anyone know how to do it?? TIA Tim..
4
4

Polo Engine Management Light
Hi all. Question for any VW officionados. My wife's got a 52 plate Polo 1.2. 3 cylinder 65PS version. She's had some problems with the engine mangement light coming on. The=20 last time it happened...
2
2

My 1988 Ford Escort 1.4 Ghia
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem... i have a 1988 ford escort but it's running on LRP and I need to change it to ULP soon as jersey is stopping selling LRP very shortly. but I...
7
7

BMW 320d MAF
2001 320D MAF, I have red in a forum somewhere that if you suspect the MAF to be faulty unplug it and run the car and the performance should increase if the MAF is indeed the culprit. Is this true?...
7
7

Passat 130TDI Gas noise under load
My Passat 130 TDI has started making a noise only under load. The sound is gas (exhaust or air unsure)being blown out somewhere, as it only happens under load I can't determine where the possible leak...
2
2

NISSAN MICRA SHAPE 1996, STARTING PROBLEM
Hi, I have owned my nissan micra for 5 years now and have found a fault with it that every machanic i have been to does not know what they looking for or just charged me for doing nothing which is...
9
9

Vauxhall Vectra - whistling at idle - timing belt on way out?
Hi I have a 51 (2002) plate Vectra 1598cc Ecotech petrol. Noticed this morning when the engine is idling that there is a 'whilstling' noise occuring. Engine performance seems normal. Does anyone think...
3
3

Escort Heater not very hot
The heater on my 98 escort doesn't seem to be blowing very hot air, it's warm but nowhere near as hot as i seem to remember it last winter. It also seems to be taking a lot longer to warm up and if...
14
14

Saab 9.3 Diesel glow plugs
Hi all Sons Car has the GM 2.2 litre engine Difficult starting on cold mornings but fine when weather not so cold so don't think a problem with injector seals or air leaks. Started first go this...
3
3