BMW torch

I scrapped a BMW a while ago, but kept the small torch out of the glove compartment. Now I want to charge it up, but I've discovered that the bulb is 2.2v, which means it's transformed down from 12v, but is this done in the car or the torch itself? I don't want to give it 12v and trash it since it's very convenient. Anyone know about this? Also, the terminals are not marked

  • and- so any info would be appreciated.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

A normal AA battery is 1.5v - a NiCad AA rechargeable battery is 1.2Volt - so two AA batteries = 2.4V

I am at a lose ???

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

You sowed the seeds of doubt there, so I went and checked. It's definitely

2.2v, 0.25a. But I still don't know whether it is fed with 12v and cut down to 2.2v in the torch, or fed with 2.2v from the car.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Chances are it's 2 AA NiCad's. You often find torches with the bulbs slightly under rated for the batteries. It makes the batteries appear to last longer though obviously not the bulb which has its life considerably shortened by over voltage. Anyway what I would do is to use a voltmeter and measure on the input socket. With any luck there won't be any diode protection and you can measure which pin/hole is + and which is -. You can then trickle charge them by putting a resistor in series with the + pin and taking the - to earth. Probably 120 ohms or a bit more would be right for a

10 hour recharge.
Reply to
Malc

Inside the torch body you will find 2x DEAC batteries. (Flat round NiCd of approx 500mAh capacity rated at 1.2V each). The charging from the 12V car supply is via a dropper resistor in the glovebox socket. It's a pity there's no room for AA cells in the moulding as I was going to convert mine to LED with NiMH cells.

JB

Reply to
JB

It's got two Ni-Cad cells, which would be nominally 2.4 volts in series.

I'd guess the charger is not part of the torch. Maplin might sell one, but it would be cheaper to buy a new rechargeable torch with charger.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm surprised it's that crude. Given the tiny current allowed to trickle charge Ni-Cads of this size without damage continuously, I'd have thought it would take ages to re-charge one after use. Or does it only charge with the engine running?

Mine still works on a '97 car - so the charger certainly must be either intelligent or at something like the 30 hour rate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No intelligence in the charging at all as far as I can see. Just as you say, a low charge current. Mine is still ok even after 12yrs.

JB

Reply to
JB